I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

test casting?
Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: August 01, 2005 08:14AM

I like to test cast my rods before wrapping them.Some suggest finding the spine and casting then rotating the guides 60 degrees casting again and finally at 180. Is this an overkill?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: test casting?
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: August 01, 2005 08:24AM

Once you find the spine depending on whether you want it up or down. I don't see why you would want to rotate it different directions and try again. If you rotate to the side it will tend to cast right or left depending on which side it is rotated to.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.162.75.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: August 01, 2005 08:32AM

This may help [www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: August 01, 2005 08:45AM

Steve, Im not quite sure that placing the guides off the plane of the spine would make the rod cast off line. From what I understand , the spine is a starting point and by trying different guide positions ,you can find the most suiteable position for you in regard to casting and "playing a fish". Im just a beginner trying to learn.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 01, 2005 08:54AM

The spine has little if anything to with casting accuracy. A badly curved or naturally warped blank, with the warp or curve placed off at 90 degrees to the casting plane is a different story, however. But the warp or curve is almost never in line with the effective spine.

I think you'd be better off spending your time adjusting the guides fore and aft, switching sizes, etc., during your test casting phase. You want to make sure you're using the smallest guides that will give you the best results. If you can drop the size of your running guides without affecting casting distance, then you'll be reducing weight on the tip area of the rod which is going to translate into a more efficient rod, and ultimately, perhaps even more casting distance.

When I was doing a lot of test casting, I would start with a "middle of the road" guide set up and then space for best distance. Then I'd cast using one up and one down size butt guide. I'd find the one that gave me the best distance there and then cast again wtih one up and one down running guide sizes. By a process of staying with anything that gave an increase in distance, or that which didn't seem to cause any decrease, you eventually wind up with the best possible guide set and placement for your purposes.

Date: August 01, 2005 09:09AM

Tom ,after you find the ultimate guide placement do you rotate the rod guides to find where the rod responds the best ? hope I read your relpy correctly,

Date: August 01, 2005 09:15AM

No, it's going to "respond" about the same in any position. Granted, depending on the amount of weight you're casting, you may find one position allows the rod to load more fully than another. But, the difference between the stiffest and softest axis on most freshwater rods is only about .2 on the CCS scale so we're not talking about a huge difference.

But if you want to rotate the rod and try the guides on different axis, go right ahead. You may find something that you like about one axis more than another. With a custom rod, it's all about getting the thing to work and feel the way you want it to.

Date: August 01, 2005 09:21AM

THANK YOU !

Date: August 01, 2005 09:50AM

You do your static distribution before or after your test casting? Before you test cast may be using the wrong size guides. After you test cast may have to change the position of the guides to correct the distribution. Will this affect the rods preformance?

Date: August 01, 2005 10:42AM

Yes, yes and yes. Over time you'll come up with the sequence you prefer. I tend to do my guide set up and placement first, then test casting and then adjust placement as needed due to any new guide sizing. Generally, if you're close on your initial set-up, and as you gain experience you'll get pretty good at this, you won't find much in the way of further adjustments needed.

Posted by: Donn Lawty (---.242.204.244.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: August 02, 2005 12:43AM

OK- total noobie here to the rod building thing. But I build a lot of other stuff with spines, and "we" have over-complicated it, and no one can seem to agree on proper spine orientation- nor has it really proven a benefit in the end. All for the purpose of marketing! Go figure!

I'm also not a noobie to fishing, and I see more benefit to spine orientation in some types of rods than I do the golf clubs. I don't have first hand experience, or data though, so I'll keep my opinions to myself at this point. But, I'd kinda like to find out more about peoples thoughts on the subject.

Tom- you mentioned "CCS scale." What is it briefly, and where do I find it? And, is there anywhere the "rod geeks" hang out that flog this subject to death? Seems to me the best info I've found is right here on this site.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster