I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork Grips Using Cork Sheets
Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: July 30, 2005 08:33PM

Folks, I just posted a few photos showing grips constructed using glued-up "blocks" of cork composite sheeting and rubberized cork sheeting. Several "brown" cork rings were also used.

Please forgive the poor photo quality - I in the early phase of trying to use a dig camera and to up-load photos.
Stan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork Grips Using Cork Sheets
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 30, 2005 10:09PM

So we can all see how bad a photographer Stan is: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 30, 2005 11:11PM

Really look nice, Stan!!!!!

Mike

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2005 11:29PM

Nice job! What did you apply to get the glossy finnish?

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: July 31, 2005 09:45AM

Raymond,

Tru-Oil was used for finish. !2 or 13 coats as I remember.

Stan

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.jcu.edu.au)
Date: July 31, 2005 09:46PM

That's what I've been using recently on a couple of rods. The cork sheeting (cork floor tiles) is quite durable and gives a tighter looking burl style grain. I like it. It doesn't add too much weight, and is fairly cheap and easy to use. The pain in the rear is cutting the rings and drilling them. You also need a glue with a long setting time when gluing up a handle assembly.

Date: July 31, 2005 10:24PM

Ted,

Try a 1 1/4" hole saw. It gives pretty rough edges but your going to sand them anyway and it puts a hole in the middle. I use one in a bench top drill press ($39 Harbor Frieght) to cut rings from cork and fiber gasket material and craft foam sheets. Never thought of cork floor tiles. Thanks for the idea

Mike

Date: July 31, 2005 10:36PM

Tom,

I'm using 12 x 12" x 1/8" composite cork from Lowe's, Michaels, etc., combined with various cork rings and gasket material and like the visual effect as well as the way the handles "feel" in my casting hand. I haven't tried floor cork yet.

The point being there are alternatives to conventional quality, clear cork which has become more difficult to find, and expensive when you find it.

I like "composite" cork better than the usual cork rings availabe. Andy has a great selection of composite cork to mix in with sheet cork and various gasket material, but that's just my opinion. The adhesive in composite cork certainly increases the weight but might actually transmit fish bite quite well.

I glue-up the 12 x 12 sheets under pressure with TiteBond II to desired thickness. When cured, they're cut into blocks on a table saw, center-drilled, etc. and go from there. It's a lot of fun.

Stan

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tvlres.jcu.edu.au)
Date: August 01, 2005 12:19AM

Thanks there Mike. What size hole does it put in the centre?
I went to cork floor tiles because cork rings and preformed grips down here aren't too readily available and quite expensive.
I'm happy with the stuff: finished with a couple of coats of Tru-Oil or one of Cork Seal they look nice.

Date: August 01, 2005 12:54AM

It's about a 1/4" hole in the center of the circle. Aftter I glue them up, I use Flex coat arbor bits and them ream.

Mike

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tvlres.jcu.edu.au)
Date: August 01, 2005 01:11AM

Sweet. Thanks for the help there. Hitting the hardware store very soon.

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: August 01, 2005 02:23PM

Stan - I really like the look too. Another source of the composite cork is the different size squares used as decorative protection under planters. A nice thing about these is they come in thicker sizes so it's not quite as tedious to get the number needed for a length of grip. I find them at Michaels craft stores.

I cut the rings and have not thought of building up the the turning stock. I can think of a lot of ways to use a square stock for cork inlays into wood. And alternating a different color cork gasket material to get a laminate .... uhm, off to the shop. Thanks for the idea.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2005 02:25PM by Steve Rushing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster