I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bamboo Rods
Posted by: Bailey Sory (64.142.73.---)
Date: July 29, 2005 07:50PM

I am interested in learning about the building of Bamboo rods including the splitting of the bamboo to actually from the Rod, etc.

Can anyone recommend a site or book on this topic? I would be intersted in seeing what is involved before I stroll down this slippery slope.

Many thanks in advance,

Bailey

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bamboo Rods
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 29, 2005 08:28PM

RodMaker covered this topic in its entirety in a series down by Russ Gooding and Bernie Elser during Volume 3 and Volume 4.

There are also many good books available - the one by Bernie Elser is, in fact, quite good. It's up to date and in print. Most book stores could get it or your local fly shop even.

Posted by: Sammy Mickel (---.r4.ncreed.infoave.net)
Date: July 29, 2005 10:07PM

Check out Tackle Works at the bottom of the sponsor list. There may be a builder close to you where you can visit and see first hand what is involved.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 29, 2005 10:10PM

Fundamentals of Building a Bamboo Fly-Rod by George E. Maurer, Bernard P. Elser. MIght help if I gave you the actual name of the book.

Posted by: William Cunningham (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: July 29, 2005 10:26PM

You can also find a wealth of information on the classic cane forum.
[p205.ezboard.com]

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.169.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: July 30, 2005 03:48PM

bailey, your email address is hidden when i click on your name in your original post. find mine in the same way and email me, i might have another source for you.

the above referrals would be excellent sources of information.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Harry Boyd (---.nas3.monroe2.la.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: July 30, 2005 10:23PM

Hi Bailey,

All the above cited sources are great. You might enjoy reading the bamboo rods material on this website:
[www.globalflyfisher.com]

Let me know if I can help you,
Harry Boyd

Posted by: john channer (---.228.156.167.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: August 01, 2005 09:54PM

Bailey,
Check out the With Bamboo archives at @#$%& , it's free. If you are still interested enough to spend money on books, the ones mentioned, plus The Lovely Reed by Jack Howells(if you can find itt, it's out of print) is very good as is Wayne Cattenach's book, Making Bamboo Fly Rods.. The classic bamboo rodmaking book is by Hoagy Charmichael and was written about Everett Garrison, called A Master's Guide to Building Bamboo Fly Rods.
john

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster