I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Please Fuji...Go Up One Size!
Posted by: Pete Tenney (---.146.100-243.dsl.ttc-cmc.net)
Date: July 29, 2005 04:46PM

I guess the answer is that they've got a relatively small buying public because the darn things are so expensive, but it mystifies me why Fuji produces Gold Cermets as large as size 30 for spinning and casting, but has chosen to limit its fly rod stripping guides to size 16 and smaller. I would MUCH prefer to use their fly rod guide profile in size 20, if available, as the large stripper for saltwater rods because it sets up closer to the blank...but there isn't one! Since a solid titanium frame suggests itself as most logical for saltwater use, anyway, I do think there would be a market for this, even if relatively small. Anyone else gnashing your teeth over this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Please Fuji...Go Up One Size!
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 29, 2005 05:23PM

I use the high frame spinning style for all my fly rod stripping guides so I haven't really given it much thought. Generally, you wouldn't gain anything at all from using a size 20 as a stripping guide and most builders never get above a 16 for this so I would suspect the cost of making and selling so few in that size is simply prohibitive for them.

You could certainly write to them and let them know what you'd like to see in next year's offerings. Doesn't mean they'll be able to accomodate you, but if you don't tell them, they'll never suspect there is any market whatsoever for a size 20 specialty fly rod stripping guide.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 29, 2005 06:09PM

Pop the ring out of a TICermet 20 hi frame, and pop the ring out of a TISIC frame of your liking, then just switch rings, add a drop of epoxy, adn there you have it.

Date: July 29, 2005 06:25PM

Thanks, Tom...coupla things...

First, I should probably cop to the fact that the sum total of my rod building "expertise" is still in single digits...and only one rod that I've built, a seven-weight, has used a #20 stripper, since I live, for now, in trout country. But I have had several saltwater rods built for me for which I specified a #20, #16, #12 stripper set up before I started building them myself...and the Gold Cermet "solution" has always been to do as you do, use high-frame spinning/casting guides. Here's the problem, imagined or real...My casting ability rivals my rod building for sheer, mouth-dropping-open ineptitude!. Being completely self-taught, I'm a really BAD caster! I can barely fashion a decent single haul. A double haul? It is to laugh! Spey? You gotta be kidding!!!

Then I discovered the wonderful world of two-hand overhead casting (or, since "two-hand overhead" is a bit unwieldy, I've renamed it "overhead double" casting) and found that I could reach hitherto unimagined lengths (read: 60' plus)...so that's about all I do...rigging even trout rods with a shooting head and running line while paying extra attention to balanced components...however, I've discovered that I occasionally wrap the line around high frame guides, but almost never do when they are set close.

Before you guys start saying, "Well, duh...use smaller stripping guides...and learn to cast", I have...at least the smaller guides part. And I "shoot" farther and more accurately with big guides! As for the "learn to cast" admonition, I'd love to but here in south central Montana high mountain cowboy country, lots of locals use fly rods...with worms. And the flatlander "sports" who show up to float my home river, the Smith, make me nervous...there's somethiing unnerving about someone whose outfit says "Orvis" 187 times! They're either gonna be a whole lot better than I am...OR...a whole lot worse.

That's why I NEED a #20 stripper...set close!

Posted by: Gavin Grapes (---.holleyclinic.adsl.ques.abccom.bc.ca)
Date: July 29, 2005 07:07PM

I generaly use a #20 on the buts of my single handers from #10 up and on all my double handers (I have even gone larger on #10 double handers)- I have been using SiCarbides so far, but would certainly consider cermets, if they were available.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: July 29, 2005 07:32PM

Your casting style may be unique. I build tons of fly rods for big fish and for casting big heavy lines, 10 to 12 and on up. I've never seen any benefit to the cast once you go beyond a size 16. Some clients tell me they need larger rings to clear knots and tangle, but I've always figured that if it has to eventually go through a size 10 top, then a great big stripping guide really isn't doing anything in regard to knots and tangles. They'll still catch on down the line.

I'd bet Fuji just doesn't see any market for stripping guides that large. But it might pay you to actually check the FUJI web site. Remember that they make a lot of stuff that their US distributor does not import.

Date: July 29, 2005 09:39PM

Good advice about going directly to the Fuji site...I've been checking Angler's Workshop, Mudhole and CTS...

As for my casting "style"...it may very well be unique. I sincerely and truly hope so...for everyone's sake!

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.30.208.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: July 29, 2005 11:20PM

Pete,
I'm a guy with a lot of fishing under his belt who is still trying to teach himself flyfishing. I have adopted the Pat McManus technique of casting. For those unfamiliar, what you do is basically imitate an old lady fighting off a bee with a broomstick. After weeks of practice, I got to the water and with a lot of prep, my first cast was 10 feet from the bank..... considering that I was using a 8.5 rod, I was pleased with myself. I won't bore you with the horrible details that followed.

Personally, I love the look of the cermets, however, I will never use them on my own rods nor recommend them to a customer. What they provide is not worth their cost, IMO. But if you really gotta have them, I feel your pain to a point. I'm not a brilliant fly rod builder.. fact is, I'm an idiot.. but I use a lot of fly guides on spinning rods, so why not use the reverse? If the "fly" guides don't do what you want, use spinning or casting guides.

An offer for Pete
Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.as0.wlgh.oh.core.com)
Date: July 30, 2005 02:09PM

Pete-

Here's the deal...I'll teach you what I know about fly rod building (its not alot, but turns out nice looking rods without complaints) and I'll teach you how to fly fish, single haul, double haul, roll casting, flip casting, Alley-Oop casting, and the Chuck and Duck. And as an added bonus, I'll throw in a few spey lessons as well.

What a great offer! But wait, there's more! All you have to do is provide me with airport transportation back and forth, four days of room and board, and of course food (I eat alot, so this could get costly)

Sound fair? heheheh, all depends on how bad you want to learn, I guess!?

Domenic Federico
Infinity Rod Creations
Wickliffe, Ohio

(Soon to be renamed)

Infinity Fly and Rod Building School

Re: An offer for Pete
Date: July 30, 2005 04:01PM

An intriguing offer, old friend...Are we talking Montana or Mexico?

As for those types of casts...yup, I'd need ALL of 'em except the "Chuck and Duck". Like four year marriages, I'VE GOT THAT ONE DOWN!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster