I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

BILLFISH & YELLOWFIN BLANK SUGGESTIONS
Posted by: PETE TENNEY (---.146.100-243.dsl.ttc-cmc.net)
Date: July 28, 2005 09:20PM

I'm seeking recommendations about the most appropriate blanks to use for billfish, yellowfin tuna and other pelagics in Baja's Sea of Cortez. It would most likely be an 8'0" to 8'6" blank in the #15-#18 range. The ones I've found which come closest, so far, are three from the Angler's Workshop Salt Stalker Series, which I believe are GUSA Dual Helix blanks, but I'm looking for any others that might work as well. Anybody?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: BILLFISH & YELLOWFIN BLANK SUGGESTIONS
Posted by: Al Johnson (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 28, 2005 09:40PM

What do you mean by #15-#18? 15-18 pound range?

Re: Billfish & Yellowfin Blank Suggestions
Posted by: Pete Tenney (---.146.100-243.dsl.ttc-cmc.net)
Date: July 28, 2005 09:48PM

Sorry...I should have been more specific. These would be saltwater fly rod blanks in the nominal 15-weight to 18-weight range, although the rod would almost always be rigged with a shooting head/running line set up. Thanks for asking for the clarification...and also my apologies to all of y'all for shouting at you with all caps in my first post's heading.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 28, 2005 10:17PM

To get some leverage back from the fish, an 8 foot model would be good. I've done this type rod on fast action Back Bouncing blanks and they worked great. I'm not familar with the Sea Stalker Series, but anything with a fast tip that will toss your shooting head and has enough power in the butt to fight the size fish you're after should be okay. I would stick with a fairly fast taper for this sort of thing. I'm assuming you're not needing to cast very far - maybe 40 feet or so? Teasing them up to the boat I'm guessing?

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.stic.net)
Date: July 28, 2005 11:04PM

Pete,
You should check out the Revo Salt Series by CTS out of New Zealand. It is an innovative blank designed for heavy salt in line wt's from 8-18. They make a 14wt. - 16wt. and a 16wt. - 18wt. both of which are 8'4" in length. This blank also uses a helical design much like the GUSA. In addition it utilizes CTS multi modulus design, meaning the butt and tip are made from 2 different modulus of fiber to reduce overall weight, and maximize durability in the tip section. ALl the CTS blanks are quite light in weight and of VERY high quality.

I'd be surprised if this blank didn't fit the bill (pun intended...)

Gimme a call if you're interested as I am a full line CTS distributor.

Andy Dear
Lamar Manf.
210-845-7456

Re: Yellowfin, etc.
Posted by: Pete Tenney (---.146.100-243.dsl.ttc-cmc.net)
Date: July 29, 2005 01:19AM

Yup...a 40-foot cast would be a long one! More likely 15 to 30...Not much blind casting involved...tease 'em up, chum 'em up and then sight cast to them. Or catch a dorado and tie it off so the rest of the school stays close by. Some years ago, Loomis made a limited run of Megas in 15/17-weight in both IMX and GL3. That's the type of rod I have in mind.

Andy, I'm familiar with the CTS blank in the lighter weights and agree with the quality. I'll definitely be getting in touch. I'm not familiar with the Revo Salt Series, but it sounds like it's exactly what I'm looking for. This move from Montana to Baja is necessitating an entirely new "wardrobe" of tackle from my Rocky Mountain trout gear. Yippee! ...Coming from the Lower keys, I used to have a lot of saltwater equipment, but when I moved up here nine years ago, I "lent" it all to my younger brother in Key West who is also a flats fisherman when he's not running his restaurant and bar...the finest in south Florida..so I know I'll never get it back!

It'll be interesting fishing for marlin off my flats skiff! Single-handed!!!

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: July 29, 2005 09:19AM

I have a friend who uses a GUSA 15 weight, and a Cape FEar 18 weight for 100#+++ Bluefin Tuna. He does post here from time to time, I'll shoot him an e-mail and see if I can tease him up to post on the thread. He might also have a GUSA 18 weight. I do remember him saying the CF is a savage rod, and had more lifting power than the GUSA.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 01, 2005 11:08AM

Be sure the line and leader you use will not part 1/half way throught the struggle. I would put a note in a bottle to throw out of the skiff when you end up being towed into the outer reaches of the Pacific. Good Luck!

Gon Fishn

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster