I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Saltwater spinng rods, Can single foot guides be used?
Posted by: Al Johnson (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 28, 2005 08:42PM

I am looking to build a light ( as in not heavy when you hold it) 15lb-30lb spinning pole. I couldnt find any line test rating for the single foot guides that fuji makes. If they cant be you what else would you reccomend that will not add weight? I want somthing that really whips those lures out there any suggestions on the blank? And what is the lighest reel seat? Sorry for all the ?'s figure I'd get them all out in 1 post.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Saltwater spinng rods, Can single foot guides be used?
Posted by: Bobby Greene (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 28, 2005 10:01PM

They can handle about any load you can put on them. The blank will break before they will. You may want to use the Forhan lock wrap on them just make them more sturdy in heavy duty use. They have that illustrated on the library page here. Sometimes I use a double foot guide for the first one or two and then drop on down to single foots after that. That gives me a sturdy butt guide for the usual bumps and bangs getting it in and out of my car or the bazooka rod tube I use.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 28, 2005 10:16PM

I use single foot on Musky rods. Depending on the rod length, I use 3 reegular single foots and the rest ceramic fly guides set up with the Concept system (see Library at top of page)and have had no problems with them.

Mike

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 28, 2005 10:57PM

Al,
You didn't give us any info to work on. How much will the weight and bait weigh? What are you fishing for? Freshwater 15 to 30 is somtimes different than salt 15 to 30lb. Single piece or 2 piece? Just give us the works, we can handle it. LOL.

Date: July 28, 2005 11:40PM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Al,
> You didn't give us any info to work on. How much
> will the weight and bait weigh? What are you
> fishing for? Freshwater 15 to 30 is somtimes
> different than salt 15 to 30lb. Single piece or 2
> piece? Just give us the works, we can handle it.
> LOL.

Oops sorry about that. Probably single piece. I will put on 20lb or 30lb (maybe a little more that line is so thin) braided line to throw 1-4oz maybe a little more poppers, minnors mostly the yo-zuri stuff. Will be going for bluefish, stripers , mahi , snook kind of an all purpose spinning rod. I would like the make the as rod light as possible, what grip is the lightest? and any other light weight components you would reccomend. I like spinning rods that have alot of action.

Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: July 29, 2005 08:14AM

Live on hatteras, and and fish 8and bait frequently have no problen with singles.

Posted by: Mike Oliver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 29, 2005 11:05AM

Al

Take a look at Lamiglas Surf blanks They do a one piece 10 foot light action cast up to 60z but will also chuck 2 to 4 oz very well. The Sharpies at Montauk use these blanks. They are the Gs 1000 sries or something like that. You can find them in Lamiglas's web site on www.lamiglas.com. They have a MlL blank too. Don't be too put off by the rated lure of 6 to 11oz. Best to give them a call. Price about $160. They have the Ron Arras range which is a bit lighter and bout $50 dollars more. But the Sharpies like the old tried and tested 1000 Saltvwater series.

Most handles I see are cork Tape which works very well teamed up witha Fuji DPS reel seat. Some Sharpies tape their reels to the tape and do away with the reel seat. Very secure light and nice to hold. Problem is if the reel screws up it is more difficult to get a replacement on quick. Also the reel tends to stay on the rod and clean up gets difficult to the point of neglect especially arounf the reel stem and foot..

I would also suggest you go easy with your stripper guide. I go t into a debate the other day on the board but seriously consider a size 25 guide here. It wont shorten your cast. Tip Top size 10 and first guide down from tip size 10 . You will neeed around 7 running guides plus tip.. Oh heck here it is again

3x10
1x12
1x16
1x20
1x25

In actually use size 8 on my rod but it might cause a storm if I suggest them that small for you. Fuji single leg std patterns are fine, if you hate rust look at their Titaniums single legs which are also very light 40% less than stainless steel framed guides. You should notice this weight reduction and difference in rod balance which will help bring the balance away from the tip just a tad. But that Tad can make all the difference after a long day chucking lures.

Even with spinning rod designs Al I like a 5 to 6 inch long fore grip again tape would work well for you here. I find them very useful when fighting big Stripers and especially bruser Blues.

Cheers

MiKe OLiver

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 29, 2005 11:55AM

Al, you didn't mention if you would be fishing primarily from a boat or from the beach. If boat, another inshore option for the weight you intend to be throwing would be one of the Seeker composites - CLB708 or CBW708 or 709. The CLB is a "live bait" blank, but is very capable with lures. Plus, if you decide to bottom bounce live eels for Stipers (Rockfish) you are ready to go. These are a little heavier than an all-graphite, but if balanced (with the reel you intend to use) the are still very light in hand, with a lot more durability imo. btw when surf fishing, I like to keep one these in the rod holders on my truck for the times the Stripers or Blues are in a close in slough or better yet blitzing.

I have had no problems with single foots (with Forhan locks) and do go down as far as 8s for running guides. I use a simple equal distance spacing guideline that Rich Forhan presented in a back issue of Rodmaker (sorry can't remember the issue #). As far as seat, one of the "heavy duty AL" seats I think is best. Again I try to find the one that matches up size wise with the intended reel model. I prefer not to get my weigth savings in the seat but by using a split grip and short foregrip.

Date: July 29, 2005 05:48PM

Steve Rushing Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Al, you didn't mention if you would be fishing
> primarily from a boat or from the beach. If boat,
> another inshore option for the weight you intend
> to be throwing would be one of the Seeker
> composites - CLB708 or CBW708 or 709. The CLB is a
> "live bait" blank, but is very capable with lures.
> Plus, if you decide to bottom bounce live eels for
> Stipers (Rockfish) you are ready to go. These are
> a little heavier than an all-graphite, but if
> balanced (with the reel you intend to use) the are
> still very light in hand, with a lot more
> durability imo. btw when surf fishing, I like to
> keep one these in the rod holders on my truck for
> the times the Stripers or Blues are in a close in
> slough or better yet blitzing.
>
> I have had no problems with single foots (with
> Forhan locks) and do go down as far as 8s for
> running guides. I use a simple equal distance
> spacing guideline that Rich Forhan presented in a
> back issue of Rodmaker (sorry can't remember the
> issue #). As far as seat, one of the "heavy duty
> AL" seats I think is best. Again I try to find the
> one that matches up size wise with the intended
> reel model. I prefer not to get my weigth savings
> in the seat but by using a split grip and short
> foregrip.

I will be fishing from both boat and docks/piers/beach. I wont be using any bait just lures. Mostly just fishing on the surface.

Thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster