I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ferrule Question
Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 28, 2005 06:44AM

I assembled an unwrapped rod blank (not as tightly as a finished rod) and gave it a light waggle. When I did I heard a distinct ticking at the top ferrule. Then I placed one hand on either side of that ferrule and flexed the ferrule. It felt like the tip of the male section was going back and forth inside the female ferrule.

I don't perceive this as normal, but want to avoid the expense of exercising the manufacturer warranty.

Any thoughts?

Jeff Shafer

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ferrule Question
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.cvx.algx.net)
Date: July 28, 2005 07:05AM

If you are sure that the tip section is loose from the furrel, send it back, if it is a cheap blank, upgrade.

Are you shoure you have the two sections fitting correctly??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2005 07:30AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 28, 2005 09:12AM

You can fix it yourself, if you wish. What you need to do in that instance is remove just a slight amount from the bottom of the female ferrule. This will allow the sections to slide into each other a bit further, bringing the tip of the male section into closer contact with the upper inside of the female ferrule.

If the blank is new and you have yet to build on it, you may also want to just return it to the maker for a replacement. Once a rod is built, the above instructions usually provide the quickest and least expensive option.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.45.245.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 28, 2005 09:27AM

Now it sounds like you are just not putting the two sections together correctly?
Put them together and just before they seat, twist a little and seat them. Do this several times and they should fit better each time.
Or trim a little as Tom says.

Date: July 28, 2005 09:43AM

The bottom of the female ferrule is seating before the tip end is. Assuming you are assembling he sections fairly snug, you won't fix the problem by simply using more force. You need to get the male section to seat further into the female section. If it's off just a tad, the first procedure will work. If it's terribly bad, I'd return it.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.lamiglas.com)
Date: July 28, 2005 12:23PM

You know if this is a new blank there is no reason you should have to do anything to make it the way it should have been when you purchased it. I would also recommend you contact the manufacturer. These things do happen I have seen my share here.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.airproducts.com)
Date: July 28, 2005 12:50PM

Thanks everyone,

I did not bear down on the sections when I assembled them, as they are not wrapped. Didn't want to split the female ferrule. Returning the blank to the manufacturer, if my perception about the fit is wrong, will cost me $20 (~20%) more for my blank. As of now I plan to wrap the top three sections with cheap components and cast it with no grip/reel seat. Won't end up being a rod I'll treasure, but I won't risk good components on this particular blank.

I guess I could also just wrap that female ferrule, coat with epoxy and then do a proper bayonet assembly to see if the ticking/knocking go away.

Jeff Shafer

Date: July 28, 2005 01:16PM

You won't likely split it if you just assemble it snugly - but don't go out and heavily load it without the wrap there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster