I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Charlotte & my wife's tolerant nature
Posted by: Neil Toland (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: July 27, 2005 08:49PM

I’ve convinced my wife the I really Need to go to Charlotte this year. I was so convincing that she’s coming too. I doubt she’ll be too interested in attending Rod Building seminars. Anyone familiar with the area - as to what’s close to the show that spouses would do to occupy themselves? Shopping & sightseeing and the like?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Charlotte & my wife's tolerant nature
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: July 27, 2005 08:58PM

[home.earthlink.net]

I didn't get out and about at all, Neil. Too darned much to see do there at the show. The link shows what Tom has on the website, though. Others will most likely chime in with closer-up things she can get to.

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: July 27, 2005 09:03PM

That's pretty much my plan too Putter. I figure once I get there I'll be just pretty dern busy at the rod show. I just don't want the boss to feel totally neglected. Course, I will be spending lots of time with her on the flight out and back...

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 27, 2005 09:06PM

Might be a good idea to have the wives hook up and head to the Mall! Isn't there a big Mall or something around there??

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 27, 2005 09:15PM

THere isn't anything within walking distance - I foud that out in teh 45 minutes it took me to walk up and down evry block in Charlotte. Make sure you take her out to eat, as the restaurants areound teh Show are extremely gooid, and priced right. That surprised me more than anything else.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 27, 2005 09:48PM

The Concord Mills Outlet Center is the world's largest outlet mall. All the big name companies have huge outlet stores there. I feel pretty sure she can fill her time and empty your wallet there. It's about 15 minutes up I85 from Charlotte.

Here are some other attractions:

[home.earthlink.net]

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: July 27, 2005 10:16PM

Neil,

The first year, I went by myself and found it fantastic for rodbuilders. I stayed at the Westin then and enjoyed the closeness to the Convention Center (right across the street) and the hotel restaurant for meals.

Last year, I managed to talk my wife into going with me. I planned an extra day and took her to a nice restuarant. She want's to go back this year and we're looking at it as a mini-winter vacation, but i had to promise not to spend so much on rodbuilding stuff at the '06 Charlotte Show. So this year, we're going two days early.

I was very pleased to see the Westin was the host hotel for the second Show. Folks must have enjoyed the experience because it's the host hotel for the third event.

Once you see what is available as to seminars, suppliers and informal discussions, it would take an unusual builder to remove him/herself from the Show. There's so much. You simply can not take it all in two days.

I plan to restrain spending this year, but one tends to get carried away with all the exceptional buying opportunities.

That's my take on the Show. I suspect you both will enjoy it.

Stan

Date: July 27, 2005 10:30PM

All sounds good - I am really looking forward to it.

Posted by: Shawn Moore (82.96.100.---)
Date: July 27, 2005 10:37PM

You are going to be blown away when you get there. If you can only go to one rod building event this is THE one to attend. Most bang for your buck going. Only wish they would push it out to 3 days. I didn't have time to see and do all I wanted last year. But I did manage to spend most of the money I brought so I guess my mission was at least partiallly accomplished!!!

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.stic.net)
Date: July 27, 2005 10:43PM

Allright Neil...will be good to finally meet you in person after all the bsuiness we've done. My wife will be there as well.....fortunately she likes to help work the booth (collecting money of course). Last year she becasme somewhat of a celeberity I think.

Let's be sure and all have dinner one night like we did last year.

Andy Dear
Lamar

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 28, 2005 11:01AM

Andy,

I;m planning on (I already made sure that Neil didn't make other plans) Looking forward to seeing you and Emily again.

Mike

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: July 28, 2005 11:20AM

Andy Dear Wrote:

> Let's be sure and all have dinner one night like we did last year.
> Andy Dear
> Lamar

WOW!!! An open invite to all 1,000 in attendance for a dinner sponsored by Lamar. You're gonna have to sell a LOTTTA $10 blanks & burnt cork rings to make that cost up, lol

Posted by: Sam Stoneer (---.static.spbg.sc.charter.com)
Date: July 28, 2005 12:57PM

For the men who may have time to get away from the show:

One of the things that Tom did not mention about the Concord Mall - the anchor store in the mall is one of the Bass Pro Shops mega stores. We live not too far from Charlotte. I have no tolerance for outlet malls (or malls in general for that matter). If I do get dragged along anywhere near Concord, I know I can kill a lot of time in the Bass pro Shops. It still doesn't compare to the time my wife can spend in the mall but it lessens the pain somewhat. Please realize that my wife went to the outlet malls in Commerce GA with a friend of hers and spent three days there and still didn't get everywhere she wanted to go. If there was a shopping olympics she would be a gold medal contender.

Ayway - thought some of the men might be interested in viewing there fishing/hunting/camping stuff (they also have a golf pro shop and boat dealership).

Posted by: Pete Kornegay (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: July 28, 2005 04:31PM

Sounds like numerous cases of credit card meltdown are forthcoming.

PK

Posted by: Shawn Moore (82.96.100.---)
Date: July 29, 2005 08:38PM

My wife found plenty to do in Charlotte last year. We drove down from upstate NY so we had a car with us. So went to the big outlet mall and spent her money. I went to the BIG rod building show and spent my money. We met up and returned home. Everybody was happy. We'll do it again this year. This is the best rod building event on the planet. Be there or be square.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster