I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Underwrapping Guides
Posted by: Scott Youschak (---.arpa.kmcmail.net)
Date: July 27, 2005 02:59PM

I've been building grouper rods with some Gator Glass Blanks (T80XH). the guides I am using are the Fuji single foot boat guides. I've been putting underwraps under all guides to provide a cushion for the foot of the guide so it does not damage the blank. Is this necessary on such a heavy blank or am I just wasting my time with the underwrap??? Thanks ahead of time.

Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Underwrapping Guides
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 27, 2005 05:06PM

You're not protecting the blank with an underwrap - thread doesn't have the ability to that. But you're not hurting anything either. Any extra weight on something that beefy won't really be noticed.

Guides that are properly prepped and sit flat on the blank won't harm the blank in any way. And those that aren't properly prepped, have burrs or sharp edges and that don't sit flat, can damage a blank underwrap or not.

Date: July 27, 2005 05:28PM

Thanks for the info on prepping guides, Tom. But how are you not protecting the blank with an underwrap? It makes sense that if there happened to be a burr or sharp edge that the thread would protect the blank, is this not true???

Scott

Date: July 27, 2005 05:40PM

A burr or sharp edge that would damage a blank would easily cut through the thread and into the blank anyway. Thread isn't hard enough to keep such a thing from penetrating. Your best bet? Don't leavy burrs or sharp edges on your guide feet undersides.

Posted by: Al Johnson (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 28, 2005 12:05AM

I have read in a few books that underwraps can protect the blank. I also read that on larger saltwater rod and underwrap plus two over wraps will add stiffness to the blank so that the large roller guide will not flex as much. Is this true?

Date: July 28, 2005 09:19AM

No, you won't stiffen a blank by adding guides or wraps - you'll soften it. Any weight you add must be carried by the blank, which in effect softens it and makes it less responsive.

Due to an argument I once had with a local builder, we decided to wrap a rod blank end to end with very stiff, braced, steel guides. His contention was that the blank would become very stiff and powerful with all those stiff, braced guides wound tightly on it. Mine, was that the rod would act more like a noodle when we were done. The latter proved to be the case, just as I knew it would. When you shook the rod it flexed deeply and waggled for many seconds before coming to rest. It was absolutely awful.

Even the stiffest guides, acting like splints, cover only a very small amount of the total length of the blank. Even if you could stiffen the area directly between the guide feet, the remainder of the blank would flex more deeply due to the added weight you've put on there. Nobody has ever stiffened a blank by adding guides. As soon as we add the first guide, we've reduced rod efficiency by some amount, small though it may be.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: July 28, 2005 09:46AM

Over a long period of time, and lots and lots of large fish - is it possible for the area directly under a guide foot on teh blank to become flattened, or "dented", recessed, or something along those lines?

Posted by: Scott Youschak (67.63.240.---)
Date: July 28, 2005 12:16PM

I'm glad Al brought up double wrapping guides because I've always done this also but according to recent posts it seems that this may be a waste of time also. Do you think so??

Scott

Date: July 28, 2005 03:32PM

Scott Youschak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm glad Al brought up double wrapping guides
> because I've always done this also but according
> to recent posts it seems that this may be a waste
> of time also. Do you think so??
>
> Scott

I have read that you do not need too. Then my local shops around here told me I should do it. Put on the first wrap apply 1 coat of epoxy then the 2nd wrap. Some books I read and some people on here said it is not needed, it is over kill and extra weight. I went with the double wrap because I am new and thats what everyone is doing in my area. I am not really sure, seems rod builders are split on this just like they are on many things about rod. I guess guys just go with what they think is best.
Also I did a test and cut of half of the double wrap on each foot. The guide would move, It was still rock solid. I think on my next rod I will just wrap it once and see how that holds up.

Date: July 28, 2005 04:30PM

Al

I think that one wrap is all you need, especially on a conventional setup because the strain is put on the blank, not the thread, which takes me back to my original question concerning underwraps. Usually I will epoxy the underwrap before putting the guide on and that has to protect the blank in some way. As for double wrapping the guide, the only redeeming thing I can see in doing this is that sometimes when you single-wrap guides you can see the guide through the wrap after finishing it, which makes the wrap LOOK weak, but that is it cosmetic purposes only for the double wrap. And I've sttarted to use E size thread to compensate for this.

Scott

Date: July 28, 2005 04:55PM

The problem is, the blank does not need protection from guide feet, particularly large heavy walled blanks. If the guide feet are properly prepped, they do not harm the blank in any way. This would be more of a problem on very light, thin walled blanks, but then an underwrap on those blanks will certainly kill a noticeable amount of the blank's responsiveness and sensitivity.

Two overwraps are usually done only when you need a great amount of abrasion resistance. They're not there to hold the guide fast - one wrap will do that just fine. On most 50lb and up rods that I knew would be fished on boats for many years I did make double overwraps. The extra weight wouldn't be noticed on such heavy rods and they'd get a little more protection from being scraped and slid around.

Date: July 28, 2005 05:25PM

Tom:

Doesn't the epoxy protect from abrasion resistance, not the thread? If over the years you've worn down the epoxy enough to expose the thread shouldn't you recoat the rod rather than relying on the thread to now protect from the elements (abrasion). I realize that 12 posts may be excessive for such a simple question but I am just making sure I am completely confident in the process.

Scott

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2005 05:35PM by Scott Youschak.

Date: July 28, 2005 07:56PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
> The problem is, the blank does not need protection
> from guide feet, particularly large heavy walled
> blanks. If the guide feet are properly prepped,
> they do not harm the blank in any way. This would
> be more of a problem on very light, thin walled
> blanks, but then an underwrap on those blanks will
> certainly kill a noticeable amount of the blank's
> responsiveness and sensitivity.
>
> Two overwraps are usually done only when you need
> a great amount of abrasion resistance. They're
> not there to hold the guide fast - one wrap will
> do that just fine. On most 50lb and up rods that
> I knew would be fished on boats for many years I
> did make double overwraps. The extra weight
> wouldn't be noticed on such heavy rods and they'd
> get a little more protection from being scraped
> and slid around.
>
> ............

Thanks Tom for clearing that up. It makes alot of sense now

Date: July 28, 2005 07:56PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
> The problem is, the blank does not need protection
> from guide feet, particularly large heavy walled
> blanks. If the guide feet are properly prepped,
> they do not harm the blank in any way. This would
> be more of a problem on very light, thin walled
> blanks, but then an underwrap on those blanks will
> certainly kill a noticeable amount of the blank's
> responsiveness and sensitivity.
>
> Two overwraps are usually done only when you need
> a great amount of abrasion resistance. They're
> not there to hold the guide fast - one wrap will
> do that just fine. On most 50lb and up rods that
> I knew would be fished on boats for many years I
> did make double overwraps. The extra weight
> wouldn't be noticed on such heavy rods and they'd
> get a little more protection from being scraped
> and slid around.
>
> ............

Thanks Tom for clearing that up. It makes alot of sense now

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster