I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

sea trout rod
Posted by: shane broaddus (---.dsl.amrltx.swbell.net)
Date: July 27, 2005 11:53AM

what would be a good rod for sea trout fishing down in the gulf area of mexico.. never build or fished this type of species so any help is greatly appreciated and what types of techniques are used for sea trout.
shane

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sea trout rod
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 27, 2005 12:15PM

More specific about location - Louisiana Marsh
Do not head out withou a good map or a guide.

Call them "specs"

Popping Rod - 7 foot - med lite/med - moderate action. No cork tape allowed on grip!

Built it - rig it with Speculizer under a cork or free line live croaker - chunk it out and hold on!

Catch a limit of 25 in an hour! Fillet - fry or pan sautee! Consume!

Call home and tell them you ain't coming back!

Gon Fishn

Edited post after learning of you final destination: On that side of the Sabine you will be hampered with having to share the water with Old Men with Purdy Rods and Bald Lathe Operators! You can not keep 25 of the critters either! Good luck!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2005 03:10PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: shane broaddus (---.dsl.amrltx.swbell.net)
Date: July 27, 2005 12:40PM

thanks bill but the area im talking is texas coast area

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.sw.res.rr.com)
Date: July 27, 2005 01:04PM

Get yourself a Rainshadow IP843 or an American Tackle AMP842. Both are really great rods whether you choose to build a spinning or casting rod. I would use either titanium coated guides or the Titan guides . They are better suited for saltwater fishing.

Lance

Posted by: Bret Rahe (---.ch2m.com)
Date: July 27, 2005 01:29PM

You will likely encounter redfish while fishing for trout on the Texas coast. I would beef up to a P844 popping rod, either 7- or 7.5-ft long will work. Most guides that use livebait will throw either croakers (small member of the drum family) or piggy perch this time of year. Another alternative to a poppin' rod are Hotshot rods. These were developed for salmon fishing up north but work really well for trouts and reds....extra fast light tips with some backbone for larger pesca's. The GLoomis Hotshot rod I use is an HS9000. Titanium guides are nice, but really not necessary if you wash down your equipment after being in the salt. I've found that most guide replacements are not due to corrosion, but rather accidents involving coolers, large feet, or carelessness. I routinely fish the TX coast and have used Fuji Alconites with no problems for several years now.

Good Luck......Bret

Posted by: Gary Snyder (---.fll.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 27, 2005 02:43PM

You have some good advice here... you did not say what type of baits/terminal tackle you will be using, that would be helpful. I have been using popping rods exclusively for 15 years now. For an all-around speckled trout rod, a popping blank / rod such as the Rainshadow IP843 or one with similar specifications would probably be the best choice.

The IP844 would handle bigger lures and redfish better, but may not cast as far as the IP843 with some of the smaller baits / terminal tackle commonly used to pursue that species.

If you would normally be using 14lb. or smaller line, and free line live shrimp or small bait fish and use small lures around 1/4 oz. or less, something like the Rainshadow IP842 or a rod with similar specifications would be optimum.

As I suggested above, if you don't know exactly what you need, a rod like the Rainshadow IP843 or one with similar or the same specifications would be your best bet.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.lamiglas.com)
Date: July 27, 2005 03:40PM

Shane,
If you are live lining small baits or jigs our IMP843 is the model you want. If you are using larger baits or a popping cork the IMP844 will fill your needs.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Gerald McCasland (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: July 27, 2005 06:11PM

Shane,

I'm not sure who Bill Stevens is talking about when he mentions old guys with purty rods or lathe operators with bald heads, so I will add my two cents worth. According to the time of the year I fish 842's, 843's, or 845's. I use the 842's in the winter and early spring and the 843's all summer, I will go to the 845 in the fall because of the bruiser size Redfish that begin to show up. I fish mostly casting rods with 12 pound test line with Curado or Chronarch reels for the most part, but do occasionally trade off for a spinner. I use the same blanks for both kinds of rods.

You have gotten lots of good info, so all you need to do is start building.

Later,
Gerald mc

Posted by: Anonymous User (63.166.216.---)
Date: July 29, 2005 08:18AM

Shane;
About the blank. Give Andy Dear ( Lamar Real Seats ) a call. He has, what he is calling a "no name blank".(7ft. rods) These blanks ( I think ) came out of the Allstar plant. Reguardless they are wonderful blanks. I have built a few of them for specs, reds, blues, weakfish, and spanish. You may want to specify the action and power your looking for. I would recommend a Med. to Med./Hvy. ( but that is my preferance ) Allot of guys like a little less stiffness in the rod for throwing live shrimp. Any how; give him a call. Oh yea; for the price he has on these blanks you can build a couple and not do any damage to your wallet.

Posted by: Robert Borgsmiller (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: August 18, 2005 09:12PM

I hear alot about live bait rods here and some of the blanks mentioned will work well for lures also. I am no expert when it comes to building rods but have been spec fishing the texas coast many years. If throwing lures, 3/8 lead heads with norton bull minnows are hard to beat. Top-waters are my bait of choice, especially early in the morning (Black/Chartruesse She Dog, Clown spook jr.) When throwing these lures you would be best served with a rod that has light action and an ex-fast tip. These baits are alot lighter than a popping cork with a weight and bait. Go light but don't forget backbone. Anything loomis 7-7.5 ft long Mag light, ex-fast. Can't go wrong. Just my opinion

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster