I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

reel repair
Posted by: bill mathis (208.33.106.---)
Date: April 16, 2002 10:54PM

a little off the subject but here goes. does anyone know where to find info. on reel repair or is it just trial and error.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: reel repair
Posted by: Tim Shaffer (---.dejazzd.com)
Date: April 16, 2002 11:17PM

Bill
I repaired reels for about 17 years. What I did was send to the different reel companies and get their repair manuals and parts catalogs. Then I got some different reels and took them apart to see how they worked then put them back together. I was used to working with machinery and gears so it did not take me very long to figure out how to repair reels. If you do run into a problem you can always get help from a repair center or the company. I quit repairing reels about 3 years ago. My biggest problem was getting some of the parts that were needed. There may be a better way to do it but this is how I did it.

Tim

Jump in with both feets!
Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.55.78.rlgh.grid.net)
Date: April 16, 2002 11:22PM

It isn't rocket science. If it was I wouldn't have done it for the past 30 years LOL. Like a fool, I just keep torturing myself keeping the repair side of my business open.

Get the reel manual. Take one part off at a time and relate it to the manual. Put it back together in the same order.

If you run into a problem, email me and I'll give you my phone number.

Re: Jump in with both feets!
Posted by: Ken Driedge (---.smithers.bulkley.net)
Date: April 16, 2002 11:31PM

Hi, Bill, I sent you some links to informative web pages....let me know if they caught,and if not, I will just type out the urls in an e-mail. being self-taught, I loused up more than once, still have trouble with certain species. Cheers.... Ken.

Reel repair
Posted by: Glenn Ging (---.wcnet.net)
Date: April 17, 2002 12:09AM

I do a lot of reel repair, too. I learned on my own reels over the years before doing it professionally. The basic principles layed out above will help. As you take it off put it in order on the work surface then it goes back together in the reverse order. Tearing them down and putting them back together is the easy part. The hard part is diagnosing some of the problems you come across for the first time. Many of the fixes are quite simple but every so often you will run into a bugger. Once figured out you will remember what caused it when you run across it again and it will be a simple fix from then on. It's the first time that can be tough. After a bunch of years of repairing reels I have seen just about everything but even still once in a while I get a good one. It is all trial and error and as you get familiar with the mechanics of reels you will see that they are all very similar yet each has it's quirks and tricks. If you have questions or problems just email me and I'll try to help.

Re: Reel repair Tip
Posted by: Larry Thomas (4.40.159.---)
Date: April 17, 2002 10:52AM

Video yourself taking it apart. In some cases a picture is worth a million words.

Re: Reel repair Tip
Posted by: Elrod (Jon Jenkins) (65.212.56.---)
Date: April 18, 2002 10:36AM

If not video, use a digital camera. Take pics as you disassemble. Use this alot when restoring or rebuilding cars and engine compartments. Don't have the cost of developing pics and you can either save them for future reels of the same model or delete them. No cost if you already have the camera.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster