I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fishing in virginia and what kinda rod to build?
Posted by: Robert crabtree (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 25, 2005 03:50PM

hi all my brother is in the navy posted in virginia and i know this much he said he is around virg..beach if that means anything im going to see him shortly and i was wondering what they fish for over there this time of year and what kinda rod would be built. then when im done im just going to give it to him for i would have no need in michigan for the rods they use over there any info on the fishing and rods would be appreciated thanks in advance crabtree's customs

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fishing in virginia and what kinda rod to build?
Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: July 25, 2005 03:53PM

Probably easiest to buy a Jesse Buky special. I believe he's in Virginia Beach.

I'd guess they fish for Striped Bass & Red Drum in Va Beach. Anyone know if there are any party boats Rob's brother can go on?

Posted by: Dan Grulke (---.fairfaxcounty.gov)
Date: July 25, 2005 04:13PM

Being from Va you have the above species listed plus blue fish, weakfish, croaker, and others. For headboats try www.potomacbass.com and look under the chartes section. They will hook you up.

Dan Grulke

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: July 25, 2005 04:28PM

I agree that Jesse is the guy to ask. The ocean can mean surf, pier or boat fishing, each require different types of rods. And you not only have the ocean, you have the nearby Chesapeake Bay, several tidal rivers with largemouth bass and other species, freshwater lakes and ponds. Virginia has one of the best, and best managed, fisheries in the country.

Posted by: Tommy Lindsay (---.249.225.138.Dial1.Washington2.Level3.net)
Date: July 25, 2005 05:10PM

Tom Doyle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Virginia has one of the best, and best managed,
> fisheries in the country.

Well...sorta....

we can digress way aways from rod building on this...But I am not going to tie this forum up...it's everywhere else...

How about the Fish kills in the Shenandoah ??

Does Omega proteins mean anything to you ?

We got problems too...

Tommy Lindsay
Wakefield, Virginia

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: July 25, 2005 05:26PM

Stripe Bass are out of season now untill Oct.4th. Just about everything else is going strong. There is pier fishing, surf fishing, bay fishing and ocean fishing. There are bay headboats and ocean headboats for bottom fishing and ocean trolling boats for Tuna, Marlin, Dolphin etc. The bottom boats have 1/2 day trips starting at about $20.00 and they furnish everything. As far as building him a rod I'd suggest a 6' or 6' 6" spin or cast [ his choice] that could handle 10 to 17lb mono. This way he can bottom fish as well as cast to Stripers later in the year.. Give me a hollar when you get to town. J&B Rods 496-2206. Jesse

Date: July 25, 2005 05:43PM

thanks for al the info guys im thinkin we might check out a charter or maybe the pier or maybe play a rich guy in the hamptons lol j/k and thanks jesse for the heads up on things stripe bass shure would have been fun too ive never hooked anything over the size of a salmon i know if we go with a boat they supplie everything he just wants a rod to have there i was thinkin a navy theme hmmm gray blue and silver marble would be sweet and by your sugg.. on the rod i dont see why i couldent bring the salmon rods along. once again thanks for the info ill get more info shortly jesse to exactly where were going to be tight wraps crabtree's customs

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: July 25, 2005 05:53PM

Tom,

Add all the parasites at Smith Mountian Lake that killed ALL the adult striped bass and are moving into the LMouth so I hear. Smallies are EAT UP in ALL Va waters with the "yellow grub" parasites so bad it's killing them, these lodge into the fish's meat and thrive..........I'm in VA.........don't get me started :)

DR

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: July 25, 2005 06:32PM

Tommy (your email is hidden, so posting here) and Duane: Yes, VA is not immune to severe environmental problems. The shemandoah problem, a terrible one, is likely due to runoff from farms (epecially poultry and livestock farms) and residential growth. The agency that oversees freshwater fishing, VDGIF, is essentially powerless to control this, but does actively monitor the situation. It's then up to the Richmond legislators (I'll stay off my soapbox about that). The saltwater fisheries have their problems also, but what is being done in VA is better than in other coastal states, IMO. Glad to get any replies, my email is listed.

Posted by: Anonymous User (63.166.216.---)
Date: July 26, 2005 11:05AM

Robert;
I grew up on the Eastern Shore (Chesapeake Bay area), so hopefully I can help as well. Don't under estimate your rods. You said you live in
Michigan, Okay. Alot of the rods you use in the North are the same types of rods we use in the Mid-Atlantic area. The rods you use for muskie are the rods we use for most bigger fish inshore and in the bays.( big strippers and blues, big redfish, cobia, tarpon, small sharks,ect.) The same 8'6" to 9' rods you use for salmon and steelhead are some of the best light weight surf rods.( IMHO ) The rods you use for bass and waleye are
great for small blues, weakfish(sea trout), and smaller redfish(puppydrum around Va. waters). Your catfish rods are our bottom fishing rods. (croacker, flounder,ect.) Of course if you go for bigger game, offshore, or even certain types of fishing methods; then the rod choices are a bit more constricted. Over all a 10# class spinning rod is a 10# class spinning rod, and a 30# casting rod is a 30# casting rod. Although your baits and presentations may vary, the rods( for the most part ) are the same. Now keep in mind saltwater fish tend to be stronger then freshwater fish. A 2# bluefish will fight more than a 5# bass.
Fisherman tend to be rod specific when it comes to application and species. "This is a bass rod, this is a waleye rod. This is a freshwater rod, this a saltwater rod." The only thing that limits our rods is our imagination. The same is true for building rods. Just keep an open mind and an eye on your drag. Don't rob yourself of the joy of fishing. Don't under estimate your rods and your abilitty to use them well.

Tight lines and clean living.
Paully
PW Custom Rods

Date: July 26, 2005 11:43AM

thanks for the info paul im driving over so i think im going to hit a few spots ont the way so im bringing an army of rods with thanks guys tight wraps crabtree's customs

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster