I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

diamond wraps
Posted by: Steve Buchanan (---.36.102.166.ip.alltel.net)
Date: July 25, 2005 12:29PM

I am a relative newcomer to this deal but I think I've gotten the hang of basic wrapping to the point that I am pleased with the quality of my wraps thus far.... I am at the point where I want to step it up a notch and learn to do some of the fancier stuff I see on butt wraps and such...stuff like basic diamonds ....I have no illusions that anything like weaving is on the very near horizon....LOL...but I WOULD like to find some instructional material and perhaps a video to take it to the next level....Any advise where to look?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: diamond wraps
Posted by: Andrew Mason (---.dsl.crchtx.swbell.net)
Date: July 25, 2005 12:41PM

I purchased CUSTOM ROD THREAD ART by Dale P. Clemens. It has a good variety of basic wraps other than diamonds and gives an intro to weaving. It also explains everything rather well. I got it for twenty bucks on @#$%&; the tackle shops that I went to wanted 35 or 40 for it! Check it out, it's a good resource............Andrew Mason

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 25, 2005 12:48PM

Hi Steve I think your next step would be Dale Clemens Custom Thread Art book. It has a lot on Diamonds and some beginning weaving. Dont put weaving in the too hard to do pile. I find it easier than weaving but more time consuming.

There is a wealth of material on different forms of thread art. Books and Videos that you can find in the Sponsors catalogs. Dales book is sometimes hard to decipher but once you do it can be a great aid on both forms. Then you can start looking at other sources of info. I believe VisualWrap is the definitive spot for diamond wraps after you have the basics down. IMHO.

Feel free to email me if you think I can help in any way.

Back to the Cave
Doc.

Sorry Andrew, we must have been writing at the same time. I echo your thoughts.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2005 12:50PM by James(Doc) Labanowski.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 25, 2005 02:50PM

Tom Kirkman's book Rodbuilding Guide has an excellant pictorial step by step on Diamonds & Chevrons. Here is a pictorial on basic wraps also
[www.leapinbass.com]

Mike

Posted by: Joe Asinger (165.221.79.---)
Date: July 25, 2005 03:34PM

I would recommend Clemens "Advanced Custom Rod Building" it has patterns and discusses setting up the rod axis for various patterns. The "Custom Thread Art" book is basically a book full of patterns, and while I think it has its worth I have got a lot more out of "Advanced Custom Rod Building" being new to the game.

I also think Tom Kirkman's book has a great photo lay out of how to do a wrap. This is an outstanding pictoral and is what I used when I tried my first diamond wrap in conjunction with Clemen's book. Clemen's I think does some good explanation, but you cannot beat the photos in Tom's book for a good visual how-to.

Joe <*}(({{>>{

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: July 25, 2005 04:33PM

I made that leap last winter, and what got me well-started was Tom K's book, plus questions asked and answered on this board. Since then, I've gotten the Clemens books, and glad I did, but Tom's book was enough for the kick-start, the photos are great. But the best way is to find someone who knows how in your area, and invite yourself over. I did that also, a bit later, nothing beats watching someone doing it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster