I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Anyone else feeling my pain???
Posted by: Tom Markham (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 24, 2005 10:41PM

OK... I know there has to be at least ONE other person out there with this same gripe. It can't be just me.

What is up with Fuji's packing for their guides? I'm specifically talking about the ones where the guides are shrink wrapped (air-tight) to a piece of card board with some sort of "SUPER PLASTIC". It takes me more time to remove these guides from the packaging than it does to wrap and finish them.

Is it just me? Is there a trick to opening these things quicker?

Each time I open one of these guides, I feel like I'm going to lose my mind! LOL!

(Can you tell I just opened a bunch?)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone else feeling my pain???
Posted by: Ricky Wilson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 24, 2005 10:55PM

Could be worse. Have you tried lately to open any of the clamshell packaging that so many things come in these days??? You can't cut them or tear them or pry they open!!!

All the fuji guides I order come loose. I think you only get them in blister paks if you order guide sets. I've never like their guide sets so I just order the ones I need individually.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 24, 2005 11:38PM

TRy using a heat gun!!

Bill in WV

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.an4.chi30.da.uu.net)
Date: July 25, 2005 12:52AM

Tom, I just repaired a rod and used a new guide that was packed that way. It sure was a big pain. Im happy I old had one. Who ever designed the packing set-up for those guides are sure laughing at us.

Posted by: kenny cuddeford (---.dhcp.wtvl.ca.charter.com)
Date: July 25, 2005 02:51AM

i ordered over 100 of the fuji guides from cabela's and they all came that way.i was peeling plastic off for over 1 hour.it was very hard to get it off the rings on the smaller guides.i felt your pain.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: July 25, 2005 09:44AM

If this trend continues we will be forced to destroy the product to unwrap it. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 25, 2005 10:12AM

I have two fingers punctured at present! I had not thought of it before but maybe a class action suit would be appropriate for personal injury, mental anguish and loss of productive time would be appropriate. We should be able to find an attorney with no heart to represent us. This may be the way to deal with this major supplier from the Orient.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.state.md.us)
Date: July 25, 2005 10:23AM

I unwrapped two sets of Aftco roller guides this weekend. The shrink wrap was sealed between the holes in the guide legs, in between the two legs themselves, and tightly all around the entire guide. It took a lot of careful work with a razor to get them out without bending anything. What a pain in the butt.

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: July 25, 2005 03:57PM

Pkg is designed so it is hard to steal the individual guides. Can stick in your pocket but the card board backing makes it kind of bulky for most normal sized pockets. The card board also allows the space for the vendor to market their product. It is cheap. It seals out contaminents from getting to the product so the shelf live is virtually forever.

I think it is pretty smart....I think you are pointing out the only down fall.

Posted by: Carrington Tate (---.wellsfargo.com)
Date: July 25, 2005 04:28PM

Tom,

Great post! I wrestled with a bunch of guides "super packed" this weekend. Sure is a time consumer...i think i prepped and wrapped those guides in about the same time! Bill, sign me up. I've had to turn to alcohol to reduce my suffering.

Carrington

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: July 25, 2005 09:06PM

I sliced around the outline of the guide at the point where the plastic meets the cardboard, leaving the plastic at the leg of the guide attached as a hinge. Then hinge backed and pushed out the guide. I opened 20 packages this way tonight, and still had 2 where I had to fight the plastic off the guide; compared to fighting nearly all of them the last time.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: July 25, 2005 10:21PM

You should just order you guides loose.

But I know what you mean about opening those shrink-wrapped paks - they are a pain in the rear end to open.

Lou

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster