I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

slippery guides
Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.sta.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: July 24, 2005 04:37PM

I like to test cast and do static distribution. I have never found a way to keep the guides from sliding around on the rod until now. First i masking tape the feet of the guide so they dont scratch the blank. I then use a plastic wire ties, I start the tie about 4or 5 inches above the area i want it to be in then snug it down. take the foot of the guide and slide it under the tie the move the tie and guide to the area y ou want . As you move the tie and guide down they will tighten ..just tested a surf rod this way with the addition a 1/4 piece of masking tapr around the exposed portion of the foot it worked great.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: slippery guides
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: July 24, 2005 05:06PM

be carful with the wire. I bought a rod were they used wire to hold the feet in place while securing the eye's and then finished right over the wire. The rod broke the first time I cast it right were it was wired. Was flexing rod to see what happened , and it broke again at the next eye. This was a M/H bait caster. It appeared the wire ectched the blank creating weak spots. May not be as stout as surf rod. But if it does create the same problems in the future. could cost a lot replacing blanks

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.147.2.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 24, 2005 05:18PM

I do what you do - only with rubber bands, safer on the blank.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 24, 2005 05:28PM

I use tiny rubber bands to hold my guides in place while setting up.testing/wrapping. You can buy very small tubing in various diameters at any model/hobby shop for a very low price. You can use a single edge razor blade and cutting board to snip off a years worth in no time. They work great! Just put as many as you need (with a few extras just in case) on the blank before you put the tip on. Just slip the guide foot under and you're ready to go. When you get the thread up close to the band, just nick with a razor and they fly off. Quick, easy, adjustable and CHEAP!!!!!

Mike

Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.sta.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: July 24, 2005 05:34PM

Bill and Mike My problem is that I have trouble test casting with the rubber band system. Am I missing something? Thanks in your interest. Bill

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.162.92.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 24, 2005 05:42PM

Maybe more then one band on each guide, may hold it better?
I cut regular kids rubber bands in half and ty them on, then slip them dow from about 3-4 inches up.

Posted by: bill cohenn (---.sta.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: July 24, 2005 06:12PM

you might want to try the rubberbands they use on braces for kids teeth

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 24, 2005 06:35PM

The bands that I make from tubing are strong and very small ID. (they are available in various ID's) I use several different sizes so my guides are held on good and cut up about a years worth at once. If you use 2 bands for casting, just touch one with a razor blade and it will pop off and you will have one left to hold guide for wrapping.

It is by far the easiest (and cheapest) method that I know off. Much easier than masking tape. I just slide them (with a few extras) onto the blank before I put the tip on and I'm ready to go.

Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster