I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need help with reel choices for my rods.
Posted by: Dan Miller (---.sympatico.ca)
Date: July 24, 2005 10:53AM

Started building my own Muskie casting and trolling rods just this year. This forum sure was and is very helpful.

Looking for information on the many various older models of Penn and Abu Ambassadeur reels. Models, capacities, parts scources and self inflicted maintainence. Most interested in keeping them up and running, adding optional parts and making modifications for improved performance. Not too please with current offerings on the market today.

As this is a rod building forum, I was thinking that some of my fellow members would be able to direct me toward some of the better sights dealing with reels. Maybe even some fishing forums where reel up keep and choices of different models used with various forms of bait or lures are discussed.

I have stumbled across some information on changing bearings, modifying level winds and using super lubricants but I have not hit the Mother load yet.

Any direction toward scourcing information on this topic would be welcome.

Thanks,

Dan Miller

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need help with reel choices for my rods.
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: July 24, 2005 11:23AM

If you stay with Abus you'll find the most information and parts are available anywhere. That said I can't imagine any reel from the bygone era better than the offerings now, both in performance, weight and durability of materials. There is some fantastic stuff out there in all forms of reels. Top end materials from 20 years ago are in every reel now just about.

Posted by: Robert crabtree (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 24, 2005 12:31PM

i agree with spencer many reels today are far advanced look at the shimano line also and diawa tough reels to beat i went through many reels now i only fish with the two up above shimano exp...i fish hard on the river in the winter and shimano has yet too fail me they dont freeze up like others also my stradics bullet proof wouldent trade it for the world.......

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: July 24, 2005 12:42PM

I'll second Shimano and Daiwa!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Lynn Huffman (---.dialup4.community-web.net)
Date: July 24, 2005 01:27PM

Dan,
Check with Tres Irby at Hatteras Outfitters. He specializes in modifications for ABUs and Penns. Anything you might need and several models of ABUs that are normally only sold in Japan. Also has some reel maintenence articles on his site. I bought a Japanese ABU 6500 Sports Rocket, solid chrome, ABEC7 spool bearings, C4 and C5 levelwind ball bearings, Smoothie drag washers, and the custom Japanese powerhandle. It's a real sweetheart.
Lynn

Posted by: Dan Miller (---.sympatico.ca)
Date: July 24, 2005 02:02PM

Guys,

Thanks for your comments.

Lynn,

Thanks for the information on Hatteras. Somewhere out there I recall a British sight that dealt with Abu maintainence but can't seem to find it now.

Also, I have come across comments on various forums about reel modifications but there seems to be no central information about this. I will call Tres Irby and check out what he has to say.

I need more information on lubricants. Some must be better than others. Both for rust proofing as well as casting performance.

Need to find out more about serious drag washers for my Penn 210 and 309 reels. The stock factory issues just smoke away with some of the big Georgian Bay Muskies I hook into. I need better ones made from superior materials. I troll big lures at quicker than average sppeds which is also hard on drags.

Dan

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 24, 2005 02:39PM

I am only using Shimana Curado 200 BSF reels on all my stuff for inshore charter service. I previously used the Shimana Calcutta 250. The Curado series reel has cut my reel maintenance in less than half for routine cleaning. I also. after a year of service, tend to change the outboard bearings with machined brass sleeves. My customers can not notice the difference in one with the replacement sleeves. The reason for the sleeve replacement is longevity with lack of cleaning. Ten years ago Garcia has about 90 percent of the market but this has changed with the low profile - get away from plastic parts - low profile - good drag system Shimano provides. The sleeves are available from Professional Sports in New Orleans.

Gon Fishn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2005 02:46PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: July 24, 2005 03:35PM

Something you might want to look at . Quantum has just come out with baitcasting ree called "Cabo 20 or 30," 2 modles for salt water. I have bought one for fresh water because it has side button instead of thumb bar like most of the new reels. It is beefed up and tuned out for salt water fishing, for fish that run a couple of hundred yards before slowing up. Cast great, runs smooth, well built. I have about 30 reels ranging from the old lews BB1N's to the new curado's. and would match this with any of them. Have not had it long enough to be sure of duability, but have looked inside. Has beefed up oversized brass gear train. ceramic drag allowing for hard pulling fish, and a zero flex aluminum frame. Built to with stand salt water corusion.
Wiegh's 9.5 oz.
20 holds210 yardsof 12 lb/185 of 14lb
30 holds 270 yards of 14lb/230 of 17lb
gear ratio is 5.7 to 1
(funny never though I would be excited about a quantum reel.)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.riogrd01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 24, 2005 05:48PM

your Penn Reels can be sent back to Penn for the new drag washers, I would look at the Diawa sealine SL-20SHV or even the 30 or the SHV ultra high speed

Posted by: Alan K. Sautter (---.sttlwa.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 24, 2005 06:58PM

There is a gentleman, user name Alantani, that can be found at "thehulltruth.com" and "coastsidefishingclub.com" who can answer all of your maintainance and upgrade questions. Probably not much on the Abu's. I use 'em myself, but they seem to have been left in the dust of technology. Gear system seems to be the limiting factor. He can help you make your Penns sing and dance.
Alan

Posted by: tom kaufmann (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: July 25, 2005 03:12PM

give the folks at Heartland Tackle Service a shout. They should be able to take care your needs. I don't recall the website but if you do a google search it will pop up right away.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster