I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Travel 3-4 piece blank
Posted by: Arthur Vo (---.montgomery.com)
Date: July 22, 2005 09:48AM

Hey all,

can anyone reccomend a good travel blank? I recieved a gift cert for mudhole tackle and there i see the lamiglas Appalachian Travel blanks. are these blanks for fly rods? i want to build a spinning rod out of one of these blanks. preffereably 3-4 pieces to bring with me on vacations. any reccomendations?

thanks,

art

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Travel 3-4 piece blank
Posted by: Sam Stoner (---.static.spbg.sc.charter.com)
Date: July 22, 2005 12:28PM

Art

These were designed to be fly rod blanks (they're oustanding light line blanks by the way) but there's nothing to stop you from converting it into a spin blank if that's what you want to do. Just because the designer or manufacturer had one thing in mind when the balnk was produced, it doesn't obligate you to use it only for that purpose. You can make a spinning rod our of a casting blank and vice versa, a spin rod out of a fly blank, etc. I think you'll have some difficulty finding a wide variety of 3 and 4 piece spin blanks so a fly rod blank could be the perfect solution in your case. Choose your blank and go for it. The Lamiglas blanks you mentioned would make very light spinning rods. If you could be a little more specific about what type of spinning rod you wanted to wind up with, someone on this board could get you pointed in the right direction.

Sam

Posted by: Arthur Vo (---.montgomery.com)
Date: July 22, 2005 02:33PM

Hey Sam,

thanks for your reply. I was thinking of building a rod that I can bring with me when i travel. I wasnt specific because i dont know what i will be catching with it lol. I have rods for my specific needs that I have built but this one is going to be for when i go to the caribean or any other ocean/sea ports around the world since I travel a lot. Im sure i wont be catching any big fish with it. ideally a 7 foot rod with a spinning reel so i can get it out there. So basically something with a backbone that will be able to handle a 20 pound fish if i hook into a barracuda or something liek that. In general I like to go light for all the ocean fishing I do.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 22, 2005 08:22PM

Their are lots of travel spinning blanks out there, 3 or 4 piece from 6 to 7 ft in many weight classes.
Rainshadow/Forecast has the in their RX6 SB travel spin bass blanks and the RX7 travel bass blanks designed for heavier fish and lures. One of the RX7 7 footers just came back from two trips. A pike & lake trout fly in trip to Yukon Territory and a peacock bass trip earlier on the Rio Negro. Only damage has been a guide ring missing from being handled roughly.
St Croix has a full line of travel inshore blanks.
Anglers Workshop has a shop IM6 blanks that work very well the TSP70 series.

Posted by: Sam Stoner (65.54.154.---)
Date: July 23, 2005 11:01AM

Art

I don't think they Lamglas Appalachain Travel blanks will handle 20 LB barracuda very easily. Spencer offerd some excellent suggestions. I think I would look at several that he offred up.

Good luck

Sam Stoner

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.lamiglas.com)
Date: July 25, 2005 03:00PM

Art,
Lamiglas also offers 4 3pc models in the 7 & 7.5' lengths.

IMP843-3 7' 6-15 lb.
IMP844-3 7' 8-17 lb.
IMP903-3 7.5' 6-15 lb.
IMP904-3 7.5' 8-17 lb.

We took these models to Costa Rica in May and caught everything from Barracuda to Cabera on them.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Art Vo (---.montgomery.com)
Date: August 01, 2005 09:58AM

Hey Guys thanks for all teh info.

How would you guys compare the St. croix GI70MF3 7'0 3 8-17lb. 1/4-3/4oz. M FAST SPIN/CAST .495 5 2.7
to the Lami IMP844-3 7' 8-17 lb.

I have never used a st croix blank, but def do enjoy all my Lami blanks. However there is a 35 dollar difference in the blanks. Is the Lami worth the extra money or is the st croix just as good ? I know both companies are great, can anyone share any input?

thank you,

art

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster