I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Re build/Repair help
Posted by: Geoff Roberts (---.wa.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 22, 2005 09:38AM

Hey guys,
I snapped the top 4inches off my G Loomis Custom built S782 IMX, there is still enough rod left for a decent 6 foot rod and i would like to rebuild it using some new Fugi Ti Sic concept guides.
This will be my first wrap and i have begun slicing through the back of the exsisting wraps with a razor to free the old guides.
How do i clean up where the exsisting guides were?
There is still some epoxy stuck on the blank where the base of the guide foot was, i reckon i got all the old nylon off but there appears to be a pattern of "what looks like" where the epoxy soaked through the wrap and just made contact with the blank.
I could just put another tip on but i am a passionate angler and feel that it needs a full rebuild to maximise the potential of whats left ( I'm a fussy bugger)

Help/advice would be greatly appreciated

This will be my first real practice at rod building, i have Tom's Book and have read it many times, i feel confident enough to prepare guides, place them on and wrap them, I am looking forward to trying out applying finnish to them.
Regards
Geoff Roberts

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Re build/Repair help
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 22, 2005 10:47AM

I woudn't ever slice through the "back of the wraps" to get the old guides off. Only slice or cut directly onto the guide foot, not the rod blank. Just a precaution to make sure you never damage the blank when doing something like that.

You can warm the epoxy with a hair dryer and scrape with a thumbnail or plastic butter knife. If that still doesn't suit you, you might want to do a full blank refinish which you can find tips on in the online library herel.

Posted by: Grant Darby (169.204.109.---)
Date: July 22, 2005 01:22PM

Well you could just repair the break and have a perfectly good rod again if you still have the broken off piece. That's not a difficult repair. If you go that route, and need help with it, just ask. If you want to make it a shorter rod with a completly different action, go ahead. Tom told you how to get the epoxy off. When it's as clean as you can get it, run a Scotchbrite pad up and down the blank. PermaGloss is an excellent product to use as a finish coating for the bare blank. Applying it with a foam brush is the easiest way I've found to do it. Cut a hole or V out of the brush, add PermaGloss and run the blank through once, let dry and do it again. Good luck, you've found a great way to start a new habit!

Posted by: Geoff Roberts (---.wa.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 23, 2005 05:56AM

Cheers guys,
Tom when i said i cut through the back of the wraps, i did exactly as you described, i cut through to the guide foot,
Thanks for the help guys, i appreciate it
Geoff Roberts

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster