I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

LS HiBuild
Posted by: Quintin George (65.200.38.---)
Date: July 20, 2005 03:28PM

First time using HiBuild and unsure if I mixed proper quantities as it is slooow to set (research on the old postings here leads me to rule out humidity)

After 12 hours (8am) the leftover in the mixing cup was still flowing - finish on rod was tacky.

Can I just apply a properly mixed second coat? Or do I have to wait a few days...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LS HiBuild
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 20, 2005 03:56PM

12 hours is not long enough for the finish to harden. I would wait between 24-48 hours and if it is tacky, CAREFULLY measure and thorouhly mix another batch anf simply go over it. You should be fine.
Mike

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: July 20, 2005 04:38PM

While the LS finish may not harden in twelve hours it shouldn't be flowing. I suspect your mixture wasn't 50/50 but as Mike says wait a bit longer and if the finish remains tacky apply a properly mixed second coat.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 20, 2005 04:56PM

The Supreme epoxies have very long pot life and may still be a tackly or even soft for several hours after first mixing. Give it a full 24 hours before you even think about anything being wrong.

Posted by: Quintin George (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 20, 2005 07:36PM

OK so it appears from the bottles that I may have forgetten to put the resin in the mix.

Should I hit it with some denatured to clean off, and then a proper coat?

Or just take it all off and re-wrap?

Too much time off I guess....

Date: July 20, 2005 10:14PM

If you didn't get both parts, or used a double helping of the same part, you can probably just wipe it off with a gloved finger (latex type gloves would be good for this). Then recoat with a properly mixed batch. I don't think you'll have to strip the wraps and start over.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 20, 2005 10:24PM

Sounds like another sufferer of the dreaded "A" disease. LOL
Been there, done that!

Good Luck

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.36.81.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 20, 2005 11:08PM

If you are ever unsure if you mixed it right -- throw it out and remix, you will be better off.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 20, 2005 11:34PM

How would he throw it out 12 hours after realizing he might have mixed wrong parts?

QHG - WHOOOPS!! lol. WHat rod did you make this Boo-Boo on?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.36.81.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 20, 2005 11:54PM

Before it is put on If at all unsure I mixed a cup once and then was unsure if I had put in both parts, so I remixed. Better to be safe

Date: July 21, 2005 08:41AM

Another way to tell is to keep a close eye on the level of the resin and hardener still in the bottles. They should be pretty close to even at all times. If one suddenly drops far below the other, chances are you've added two doses of the same one.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.cvx.algx.net)
Date: July 21, 2005 08:54AM

I mark the syringes A to A and a B to B with a perminent marker

Re: LS HiBuild - No Cure for Dumb
Posted by: Quintin George (65.200.38.---)
Date: July 21, 2005 10:30AM

XL,

Lami 8.5' 2H Perigee spinner for chucking 3/4oz poppers at stripers and blues.

I planed on taking it to Fishers Island with me today to fish from the beach with kids...

Taking next week off - will be fishing the race every night - just not with a gold speckled green rod!

Q

...no cure for dumb.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: July 21, 2005 10:56AM

That's not a rod you wanna be screwing up. I've got a PLB841L, I've seen a few others guys use for light plugging as you plan to. Absolutely sweet, too bad there wasn't enouhg demand, as these are really unique graphite blanks with great action, and a gorgeous finish.

Enjoy your week off, send me a few pics if you find an extra set of hands to handle a camera.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.cvx.algx.net)
Date: July 21, 2005 11:12AM

What is wrong with gold speckled green ??

Date: July 21, 2005 12:07PM

I don't see where anyone said anything is wrong with it, it's a gorgeous finish even though Green reminds me of puke. Q said the rod won't be going with him since he hacked it up on the finish.

not dumb..easy to do
Posted by: Harv Gorton (---.penn.com)
Date: July 21, 2005 12:14PM

I have changed my technique...after I put part "A"of the finish into the mixing cup, I put that bottle a long ARM"S LENGTH away when I set it down so I don't accidently pick that bottle up again.....

Date: July 21, 2005 01:36PM

What I do is keep the syringes in the cap of each bottle (I store them this way, much easier, cleaner, no waste, no clean-up). I pull out BOTH parts before putting either into teh mixing cup. No mistakes at all like this, since I can easily tell which part was shot into teh mix cup by seeing which sringe is empty, and which is full.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster