I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Kenai King salmon blank suggestions.
Posted by: Ben Stacy (137.229.22.---)
Date: July 19, 2005 08:24PM

My how things can change over the course of one year. Last year I posted a message asking for suggestion for a blank for Kenai river King salmon. Thanks to all who responded. You really gave me alot to think about. Unfortunately, I didn't get to build a rod over the winter, but things have changed this year. After being pulled all over the river by another Kenai King, its time for me to stop fooling around with borrowed equipment. This year, I'm no longer on as tight of a budget and need some suggestions for blanks from all the experts on this board.
Guidelines for this rod are simply a heavy rod for back-trolling spin-n-glo's and K16 Kwikfish. All suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

P.S. Can say enough about my Forecast 9' 4wt I built last fall. Thanks to Baston for providing these blanks to all of us.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kenai King salmon blank suggestions.
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 19, 2005 08:58PM

That is some kind of fishing - sitting in a boat with the four cycle running half speed and the boat staying in the same place. I have an anchor rope that will do fine to haul one of them beasts back to the boat through that current! I fished there last year and had a blast watching the eagles catch all the fish. My popping rods would be kinda useless huh!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 19, 2005 09:25PM

A med/heavy blank, I would think would work the best for those requirements
and one that I like is the RainShadow 1021. I do like Batson very much also!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 19, 2005 09:26PM

The Lamiglas Kenai King rod is built on the GSH1022HX, the Kenai Killer is on the GLB1082MH blank, the MH saltwater blank is a XH salmon blank. I don't think the Rainshadow ISA 6 power blanks are heavy enough in the butt for the Kenai, but for the cost of a Cascade Composite blank from Mudhole, you could check it out yourself. You probably saw lots of Lamiglas rods on the river.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 19, 2005 09:32PM

The Lamiglas GLB902M makes the only 2 piece backbouncing rod I know of.

Posted by: Ben Stacy (137.229.22.---)
Date: July 20, 2005 11:57AM

Would the rods, such as the Baston 1021, that are rated X-fast be too fast for what I want? I don't want a medium action rod, so should I go med-fast to fast?
As far as Lamiglass rods are concerned, they do make a fine rod, but here's my experience with them. I've lived in Fairbanks, AK for three years. I've fished the Kenai for the past two summers with borrowed Kenai King Lamiglass rods. Both last year and earlier this month, I've hooked into my personal "fish of a lifetime." Both times, the Lamiglass rods, IMO, had too much give and flex way down into the blank. I would lift the rod and it would flex, but not move the fish. I fought last year's fish for 45 min, and this years fight lasted for an hour. For comparison, my father in law hooked and landed a 60lb king in 20 min with the same rod I used eariler this month. Is it the fish, is it the rod or is it me, I don't know. All I want is to land one of these critters.

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: July 20, 2005 02:49PM

Press release will be out at Icast 6 new Rainshadow & Forecast blanks including 2 new King Salmon blanks ISA1027F 8'6" 15-30 and ISA1086F 9' 15-30 perfect harvest sticks for AK. I personally fish the DR1024 and DR1025 so these are not to be overlooked for Kings.Tight Lines!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster