I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide distance from the tip
Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 19, 2005 05:54PM

I always thought you shouldn't go no more than 3 inches from the tip to the first guide. But after reading the New Guide Concept Primer in the library Tom says it's ok to start at 4 inches on lighter rods. I'm build a G-USA B70M. Also the butt guide is set at the table edge just like Tom says. But when I put the spool back, thread the line and start spinning the spool the line touches the bottom of the butt guide and cause a slight angle. It does not touch the top of the guide. The butt guide is actually slightly larger than half the size of the spool. Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks,
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide distance from the tip
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 19, 2005 06:04PM

You'll be okay - in fact, since the line drops due to gravity just as soon as it leaves the spool, it's always going to have to move up at some angle. About how far is the butt guide from the spool face? About 20 to 23 inches would sound about right on a rod that size. I'm guessing at the size of your reel and line, however.

Date: July 19, 2005 07:51PM

Tom...the butt guide is 18 from the spool face and 20 from the seat center. Maybe I need to move the butt guide up about an inch. If it's any help the rod will be fished with a Shimano Sahara 4000 on it.

Date: July 19, 2005 08:30PM

No, you may be okay. I'd go cast it a bit first, then maybe shift it up an inch, then back and inch, cast agin and compare.

Date: July 19, 2005 08:31PM

No, you may be okay - that's fairly well within what I'd expect depending on the size guide you used there. I'd go cast it a bit first, then maybe shift it up an inch, then back an inch, cast again in all positions and compare.

Date: July 19, 2005 09:23PM

Thanks Tom!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: July 20, 2005 11:58AM

Also remember there are the common All purpose guides with I call a low ring height, and the Concept guides that work better in the concept system.
If you take a look at the fuji alconites and the say American tackle holo guides you may see the difference.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2005 12:01PM by bill boettcher.

Date: July 21, 2005 11:33AM

I guess I should have been a little more clear Bill. I was referring to the Alconites. That is what is going on this rod. I have noticed that the American Tackle holo spinning guides have a shorter frame and really don't seem to work with this set up method. It didn't for me anyway.

Thanks,
Steve

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.cvx.algx.net)
Date: July 21, 2005 11:46AM

The alconites are perfect. Guides like those holo's you tend to use a larger ring size, defeats the whole purpose of the system IMHO.
I always go 4" on light stuff

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2005 11:58AM by bill boettcher.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster