I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hook Keeper
Posted by: Ken Sapp (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 18, 2005 09:23PM

Hey guys, I've run into yet another question. I've got a rod in for repair because one of the guides broke. The guy also asked me if I could add a hook keeper. I said I wasn't sure. (I'm 16 so he was very worried about giving me his rod in the first place and after that he really didn't want to hand it over) Just to give ya'll an idea Its a factory rod and there is no decorative butt wrap. There is however about an inch of thread wrapped up to the winding check. I didn't figure that would really be a problem, but I was a little worried about the decal. I wouldn't have to cut any of the letters but I might have to slice a little bit of the material. Will that hurt anything? Also I've never did anything like this, so will the old edge of the finish blend with the new finish or will it just look ugly. Thanks for your help guys, ya'll are life savers.
Ken

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hook Keeper
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 18, 2005 09:43PM

If this is a casting rod. An off the wall suggestion - Rich Forhan the noted bass fisherman, builder of fine rods and writer of books simply drills a small hole in the trigger of the reel seat for a hook keeper. When you drill the hole be sure to hold a block of wood behind the trigger so the drill will not shoot through and hit your finger or the blank. This works fine and your customer may think you are smarter than your years. If this is a spinning rod caution the owner that the hook keeper bothers many owners of spinning rods. Be sure and put the thing as far back on the blank as you can and I would put it on the top and use a small one. There will be no need to cut anything away - just scuff the area with Scotch Brite and wrap - the finish wil blend in fine - go for it and get a good repair behind you - I wish my first one had been at age 16!!

Gon Fishn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2005 09:51PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: July 18, 2005 10:05PM

If it is a casting rod, I don't think it is a good idea to drill a hole in the triger for a hook keeper. I have read here that a guy did one and the owner did not like it cause every time he picked up the rod he got stuck buy the hook??

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.146.214.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: July 19, 2005 06:23AM

Just wrap a hook keeper right next to the winding check, epoxy it and your done.. a lot of guys try to line the hook keeper up with the guides, others at an angle off the guides, with fly rods always with the guides,, if you keep it in line with the guides, you won't go wrong..
Go for it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tight lines & smokin' drags

Art

Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.as0.wlgh.oh.core.com)
Date: July 19, 2005 10:59AM

Ken-

You're to be commended. At age 16, I think you've chosen a hobby that is healthy, rewarding, and may even lead to much bigger things for you down the road. I wish I had started at that age, but girls occupied most of my time back then ;-)!

Anyway, As said before and in summary:

You can install a small hookkeeper directly over whatever decal or epoxy may be there now. Be sure to scuff the surface (thus the scotchbright pad suggestion by Mr. Bill Stevens) and a wipe down with alcohol to clean the surface up nicely.

You may want to slightly offset the hookkeeper depending on the hand prefence of the user and if this spinning rod. I hold with the right, so a hookkeeper placed at 7 or 8 o'clock on the dial of the blank would work well. Plus it eliminates the need to rotate the rod when storing the hook.

For fly, I put the hookkeeper at 5 or 4 o'clock because it is out of the way. Keep in mind, these preferences are because I hold the rod with my right hand and reel with my left. It takes a little more work to get the fly on the keeper, but I deal with it.

I haven't built a baitcaster rod, so I literally have no experience or preference on where to place the hookkeeper.

Good luck and keep building!

Domenic Federico
Infinity Rod Creations
Wickliffe, Ohio

defjam@core.com
infinityrodcreations@yahoo.com

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 19, 2005 04:09PM

I drill the hole in the trigger and I haven't been stuck yet, don't see how you could, most rods balance at the reel or just ahead so I grab them there or by the rear grip which is behind the keeper. I could see if you tried to palm the thing before you removed the hook, but hey come on. The hole size is 1/8 inch so the hook doesn't pass all the way thru the trigger with a barbed hook on a bass outfit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster