I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Good threads gets buried down
Posted by: Mikko Stenberg (---.kotopas.fi)
Date: July 18, 2005 09:36AM

I think that there is one fundamental problem with this forum system. Although I'm a new member I find it so that even some of the best threads/duscussions gets buried down because of the new topics. Since threads won't move up after someone has posted a reply into it the thread gets buried pretty fast - no one even remembers threads discussed some pages ago. If more people finds this as a problem could it be possible to improve the system a bit.?

I don't meen to be offensive in any way - just a suggestion. ;)

-Mikko-

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Good threads gets buried down
Posted by: Drew Kasel (---.binc.net)
Date: July 18, 2005 09:43AM

I, too, prefer message boards where the threads move to the top after something new is posted in them. The activity on these boards is slow enough and non-spammy enough that it's not impossible to stay on top of things, but, as you say, some of the best discussions wither and die (sometimes without conclusion) as they're forced down the page.

Posted by: John Ridderbos (---.dslglue.ctsmail.net)
Date: July 18, 2005 09:56AM

I also prefer boards where the message that has the latest reply gets moved to the top. On this board if I am monitoring a thread and do not check it for a few days I have to do a search.

john

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 18, 2005 10:29AM

Look at the options tool bar below your post. You can follow the thread of any topic you are interested in.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: July 18, 2005 10:45AM

I complained about this when the boar dfirst started a few years ago. The reason it is like this is so people are not afraid to post & have an equal opportunity for someone to see that post on the first page. When the new post pops up to the top, the feeling is other posts will drop off without ever recieveing a response, and pushing people away.

I MUCH prefer to have new threads pop up, I know I NEVER make a post on a thread which is towards the bottom of Page #1, and I NEVER make a post on PAge 2 - it's a complate waste to do so since nobody will ever see it. I think a lot of good threads shut down way too quickly when they fall off the first page, however, there aren't any threads which carry on and linger for weeks (unless we use tape bushings)

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: July 18, 2005 10:49AM

what is wrong with tape busings? heheh

Posted by: Magnus Högberg (---.bredband.comhem.se)
Date: July 18, 2005 10:57AM

I'm a member of a flyfishing forum in sweden ( [www.edgeflyfishing.com] ) that I think is very good in this aspect.
New posts show at the top, but you can also check all new posts in all threads and areas and all new posts in threads where you have submitted a reply. The moderator can make good threads sticky so they remain at the top.
It would be great to have the same categories here as in the photo section.

This is probably nothing new for anyone but is worth checking out.
[www.simplemachines.org]

Isn't it humble of me as a newcomer here to make suggestions to how the forum shuld be.

//Magnus

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: July 18, 2005 11:04AM

Magnus - you're not alone in your feelings, but if it ain' tbroke, don't fix it.

I'd love the OPTION of having new threads pop up, but I do not think that is possible either, I think with the Software this Phorum is run under, it's one or the other. I honestly don't remember exactly all teh details, but we've been through this before, I'm sure Tom will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 18, 2005 11:17AM

Because this forum moves so very fast, if we allowed threads to come back up every time somebody replied, most of the new questions would be buried in short order and we'd be stuck on one topic for a year. Questions get answered pretty quickly here and so it's not like anyone goes lacking for information and we need any topic to remain up top for long. I have the option of doing it either way, but I've chosen the format we have now.

I certainly don't mind suggestions. Thanks for taking the time to make one here. I'm only sorry I can't incorporate them all.

Posted by: Magnus Högberg (---.bredband.comhem.se)
Date: July 18, 2005 11:23AM

I hope you didn't get me wrong Tom, you are doing a magnificent job with this forum. After all it's the knowledge among the users that matters and i can't see any shortage in that department, exept for my own that is.

Posted by: John Ridderbos (---.dslglue.ctsmail.net)
Date: July 18, 2005 11:34AM

I had not seen the "follow this thread" button before, thank you for pointing that out.

john

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: July 18, 2005 01:35PM

You can also go to My Controll Center and have the option that when you answer any post when replied to you will be notified by email.

Posted by: Al Johnson (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 18, 2005 03:45PM

This is probably the best rod building site on the net. But its so much easier to find topics when the most recently replied ones go to the top. New people coming and going also get to see the newest topics too. I may reply to a topic on the 2nd page but not many people will say it because it gets burried. Either way this place is still good

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 18, 2005 04:06PM

I prefer topics to gradually be buried, rather than having old topics with two dozen responses bury the new topics still trying to be born. I've tried it both ways and the current one you see here has resulted in more traffic and more participation.

I do appreciate the input, but at this time I don't plan to change the board format. Thanks.

Posted by: Shawn Moore (82.96.100.---)
Date: July 18, 2005 04:15PM

On sites where topics pop back up to the top when a post is made to them you often have a tired old worn out and hashed and rehashed topic finally skip down the page or go a few pages deep, and then somebody will find it and with a post like "I agree" it suddenly pops back to the top and wastes the prime topic spot all over again. Some of them are like a plague and you can't get them to go away. They keep coming back up for days and even weeks on end.

I know this isn't a poll for changes, but I say keep the board format just like it is.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: July 18, 2005 05:53PM

Steven Libby, when I join discussions re masking tape bushings or cp I am usually wearing my helmet and flak jacket - I trust you're doing the same bringing the topic up?

Lou

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: July 18, 2005 06:42PM

Lou - I'm not wearing my helmet, but I can move quick enough to get out of the way if need be. Is there such a thing as graphite impregnated masking tape? while I've been using the arbors and think they are better than the masking tape, I still get the itch to go back to the tape...I love the smell of the glue in the morning.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dslextreme.com)
Date: July 18, 2005 08:06PM

Quick note to say that I also prefer the method where threads with a response pops back to the top. That said, still appreciate this board immensely.

Mo

Posted by: Rob J. Hale (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: July 18, 2005 08:11PM

This is one of the few rod building sites where you have so many people and every body offering differing opinions and even strongly disagreeing and yet they don't get in fights and you don't get banned or flamed just because you don't follow the status quo. Trust me, it's not like that on many other rod building sites!! So I really don't care how the topics are handled, just keep this great site up and running!!!

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: July 19, 2005 01:07AM

IMO, the current priority for Posting is much better. New Messages should have priority over New Replies. Thanks, Tom Kirkman, for that executive decision.

If the Message Thread is that good, people can follow it by activating the e-mail notification feature available to the Logged-In & Registered User, or by simply returning to the RBO Forum Message List, and tracking it down. No matter to where on the Message List it has dropped. ... IMO, -Cliff Hall, Gainesville, FL +++

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster