I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Are you kidding me?
Posted by: Ken Holleran (---.userbeam.de)
Date: July 18, 2005 09:26AM

Just looked at Hiro Tanaka's new photos on your photo page and I think I'll just give up decorative thread wrapping now. Surely this guy is the world's best thread artist. Either way I'm too depressed to bother with any more thread wraps. Just when I thought I was getting good I had to see this. You sure know how to ruin a guys' day.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Are you kidding me?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 18, 2005 09:37AM

There are a lot of really good thread artists out and around. Hiro and Jim Upton are likely among the very best. Jim will be at the National Rod Builder's Show this coming February and there is some possibility that Hiro may attend as well. Instead of giving up (I assume you're kidding) you might want to come out and hit them with any questions you have or learn some things that will help you develop your own style of thread work.

Posted by: Robert crabtree (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 18, 2005 09:39AM

you aint a kiddin very beatiful work mr.Hiro full body dragons and guide wraps are sweet complimented with a good coat of epoxy very nice.

Posted by: Mikko Stenberg (---.kotopas.fi)
Date: July 18, 2005 09:39AM

Hehe Ken! :D You are hilarious! LOL ;) Hiro's art is stunning and I actually find it pretty motivating too see such excellent work.

Posted by: Richard Kuhne (66.98.130.---)
Date: July 18, 2005 10:32AM

When Tiger Woods looks at Jack Nicklaus's records he can either be inspired or depressed knowing that he still has a heck of a long way to go. If I were you I would be inspired knowing that if Hiro can do it, so can you! Nobody gets that good overnight. It is all a learning process.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: July 18, 2005 10:52AM

It's sad when peopel are overwhelmed to teh point they won't even try. Hiro is very forthcoming with information on how he weaves, as is Jim Upton, Doc Ski - and I'm sure 75% of the other guys who weave. If you put the time in, you will be able to do stuff like they do, there is no God given talen tot tangle threads around a fishing blank, it's 100% practice, drive, and a compulsion to take it to teh next level.

Posted by: Harv Gorton (---.penn.com)
Date: July 18, 2005 10:56AM

It's like anything else..you get out of it what you put into it...I think I'll have another beer.

Ratings are for teh Birds
Date: July 18, 2005 11:01AM

This is exactly why I do not feel Rating photos on teh board makes any sense whatsoever. I never see anyone give an honest rating, all I see are 10's. I personally refuse to rate any photo, because people will HATE me for being honest. But if you look around the site, and look at some of the stuff which was rated as a 10, then look at the work which is obviously a 10 (specifically Hiro's, Jim's Baby Dragon, Eden's rods, Doc's stuff, Mike Joyce & etc's), you'll understand where I'm coming from.

Ratings are for teh Birds
Date: July 18, 2005 11:01AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2005 11:01AM by Billy Vivona.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 18, 2005 11:08AM

I wish the rating scale wasn't even up there - it's sort of silly when you come down to it. But it's part of the software package and can't be turned off. I seriously doubt many people are worrying over how they rate the photos nor are they really "keeping score." They just hit the "10" when something really catches their eye.

Posted by: Bil Gburek (---.arsup.psu.edu)
Date: July 18, 2005 11:48AM

Hiro Tanaka's work is truly art -- many other pic's posted on the board reflect less imagination and skill to varying degrees, but are most likely just as satisfying to the builder. In addition to rodbuilding, where I am a relatively new-comer, I play volleyball, and have for many years. Do I play as well as Karch and all the folks in his world? Absolutely not. Will I ever get to that level? Ditto! But that doesn't mean I don't get enjoyment out of watching someone at that level play, and it most certainly doesn't mean I will give up my game!!

Having pic's of work like Tanaka's can be looked at more than one way: inspiration for those who aspire, or simply beauty for those who like to behold. Reading the posts on this board shows all who participate to fall everywhere within and between these "camps" -- from those who want a rod that fishes well and hang the looks, to those who are concerned with every little aspect of the rod, weight, alignment, looks, etc. (color me somewhere inbetween, which is likely where I'll stay, just like volleyball). Regardless of your taste or mine, this is a fantastic board and a fantastic hobby because of the diversity -- on it, I can rub shoulders with the best!

Bilgee

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 18, 2005 04:42PM

When I first saw Hiro Tanakas photos on the other board a couple years ago...I was floored. I also saw Mark Crouses work and others. At the time, their work and all the other great thread artists photos got me "very enthusiastic" about thread art again. I posted a pic of a rather lame St Johns cross and some guy named Billy 40 bashed me for improper packing, but gave a tip on how to make it better....I'm glad I learned how to turn on a computor a couple years ago.

All the great weave pics?...just make me want to learn to weave (without gaps).

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 18, 2005 05:36PM

Trully Hiro is a great Master and what he does with thread is Magic.

I think he posts pictures to inspire everyone to do that which seems impossible. He, like most true Masters really get their kudos from others trying to duplicate and eventually surpass their feats. It would dismay him to think by showing such intricate and exceptional work made others give up or not show their work. He openly thanks those who have helped him and gave him a goal to shoot for and Jim Upton is right at the top of that list. I met him and spent the day with him and Jim U. a couple years back and I can tell you than man is the definition of Humility. It is surprising what can be communicated with hand movement and head knodding, since my Japanese tops out with Good Morning, Good Evening and Good night.

Billy V. is right. It takes desire, drive and practice to do beautiful work. No one can instantly produce flawless work. It is a lot like growing up. One step at a time and just try to improve a little at a time then one day Whamo, you have a piece of art. Giving up doesnt cut it in anything. This kind of work should just fire you up to do more.

Harv, I will join you in that beer.

Posted by: John T. White (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 18, 2005 08:03PM

From the photos I've seen I would also put Doc in that same company. I often wonder who else is doing this fantastic work out there but maybe doesn't take any photos of it or doesn't visit the internet sites.

It comes to mind that Wayne Fowlkes up in VA way is pretty good too. I believe Gudebrod uses his wraps on their catalog covers and have for many years now.

Posted by: John T. White (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 18, 2005 08:04PM

From the photos I've seen I would also put Doc in that same company. I often wonder who else is doing this fantastic work out there but maybe doesn't take any photos of it or doesn't visit the internet sites.

It comes to mind that Wayne Fowlkes up in VA way is pretty good too. I believe Gudebrod uses his wraps on their catalog covers and have for many years now.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 18, 2005 10:05PM

Doc is correct in that the pictures are put up on this site to inspire others to reach a higher level. Never to intimidate.

There are many really excellent Artists and Craftsmen in the rod building arena and many may not have the time nor inclination to display their work.

Mark Crouse is to me a truly talented rod builder as are Hiro and Doc. Each have a little different approach and area of talent that make them unique and stand above the rest of us on their home field but each I am sure recognize, appreciate and learn from the talent of the others. Each of them, as well as I, certainly wouldn't want anyone to give up trying because of a picture posted to this site or any other venue. None of us have the time to try everything so the more of us out trying to push the envelope in whatever area you have an interest in can be a real inspiration to the rest of us. Just look at the mess Putter has caused in a lot of rod builders shops.

My point here is, work at the area of your passion, be patient, let your talent develope and we will all be the better for it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster