I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Loose?
Posted by: Casey Morgan (---.ok.ok.cox.net)
Date: July 16, 2005 02:02AM

Hi, I'm not a rod biulder so this may be a no-brainer for you guys. I have a factory Daiwa Procaster UL spinning rod that I dearly love. The whole rod has started to turn in the handle. It won't pull out, but after about 3-4 casts you have to line the guides back up to the reel. It doesn't shake or rattle anywhere, the handles and seat are tight to one another, the rod just spins in the whole handle. I searched the archives for "re-gluing handles" but didn't have much luck. Is there any way I can fix this without destroying anything on the rod? It has a nice cork grip that I would like to keep. Thank you in advance for any ideas. Casey

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Loose?
Posted by: Stan Massey (---.cable.ubr04.uddi.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: July 16, 2005 03:06AM

Casey,

difficult to answer perfectly without seeing it . The correct solution would be to remove the handle and reel seat completely and then re-glue them. If you dont want to go to that extent you could try drilling a few small holes through the cork and reel seat and injecting epoxy resin into them. Whilst the resin is still wet spin the handle and reel seat to spread the adhesive but ensure it ends up correctly lined up with the guides. Once things are set you can fill and sand the holes in the cork. The reel seat is more difficult to disguise but some filler and a felt pen similar in colour to the reel seat will help.

Stan.

Date: July 16, 2005 03:43AM

Thanks for the information, Stan. If I were to take the whole handle off, could it be done from the bottom of the rod? Otherwise I would probably have to remove the guides. Or do I need to clean the inside of the handle before I re-glue it? If not, maybe slide it up the rod to the first guide? If this can't be done, wich spot would be best to drill and glue, the cork or real seat (or both)? I don't mind if you can see the repairs, just don't want to feel them. Thanks again, Stan!

Posted by: Stan Massey (---.cable.ubr04.uddi.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: July 16, 2005 04:26AM

Casey,

sorry, again difficult to say without seeing it but assuming the handle was reamed properly to fit the taper of the blank then it may be difficult to remove it from the bottom of the rod. The blank will be thicker at the bottom than the bore at the top of the corks. If you can slide it up the blank towards the first guide then this would save you any boring of cork or reel seat. Having slid it up clean off the area where it had been glued and then check the type of build up used. It could be arbors, tape etc. New arbors may be needed using your choice of material (not getting into that can of worms). You may be able to clean the inside of the corks etc by pouring a mild cleaner down inside but nothing that would damage the blank. I have had few problems with methylated spirit. Once you are happy with the fit and have cleaned things as best you can apply epoxy to the grip position and simple slide back into place, spinning the grip as you go.

If you have to drill I would drill corks and reel seat. Not sure on the type of seat but as its a spinning rod and a Daiwa I`d assume a carbon Fuji type. If so there is a groove running the length of the back of the real seat which locates the screw reel hood fitting. Thats as good a place as any to drill and keeps you off the thread. On something like a size 16 reel seat you could probably get 4 or 5 holes (1/8th inch dia).
On the corks I`d spiral some holes up the cork possibly at 1 - 2inch centres and then spin everything to spread the adhesive.
Should mention here to drill the holes (on the cork at any rate) using a drill bit in your fingers, not an electric drill just in case you go too deep and damage the blank. Same for the reel seat but heat the point of the drill, protect your fingers and take your time.
There may well be some better methods by other posters, alternatively find a rod builder in your area on this forum who could help you, its not a major repair, me I`m UK.

Stan.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 16, 2005 05:42AM

Is it the "whole handle" or just the reel seat that shifts? Where are you from? Maybe there's a builder/repairer in your area that could help...click on "tackleworks" to the left.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 16, 2005 06:24AM

Casey,When you reglue make sure you use a slow cure epoxy so you dont run out of time injecting the epoxy and still hve time to align.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 16, 2005 03:29PM

The easiest way to FIX this rod is to apply the Jesse Buky Quickie Rod Repair. Buy a new reel seat - cut the old one in the center all the way around with a dremel tool - split off the two halves of the old seat from the blank - cut a piece of blank to insert in the center of the old blank as a post - make two seat arbors and install - apply Rod Bond - slide new reel seat in place - line up all pieces. This new one will be stronger than the old and you have not messed with the rear grip or foregrip thereby saving everything but the seat. This is an easy repair and a darn good one - I have done about 15 of these fixes and all have worked completely. Again thanks to Jesse!!

After you have fixed this thing and fished with it you will be "hooked". This simple start is the type of thing that "catches" new builders - welcome to the craft!

Gon Fishn

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2005 10:04PM by Bill Stevens.

Date: July 16, 2005 10:32PM

Thanks for the instructions, everyone! I think I will be able to fix this with all the good ideas I received. While searching for a way to fix this I have become enamored with the idea of making my own rod. Some of the pictures I have seen on this site and others are very inspiring. I am now cutting the guides off a Berkley rod I broke and am going to try my hand at tying them on a fiberglass blank (actually, my first rod when I was a kid!) With all the information on this site I figure I can at least make a fish-able rod out of it (I hope!) I may have to put the Daiwa handle on the back burner until this gets done! Thanks again to everyone that helped me out with the handle. I really appreciate the advice.

Casey

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster