I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Virginia Tech thread colors
Posted by: Pete Kornegay (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: July 15, 2005 08:53PM

If you're reading this, you are probably a Hoakie or know someone who is a Hoakie. Actually, I've never quite figured out the meaning of the term "Hoakie" but I digress.

Anyway- I have a request for a rod with Virginia Tech thread colors - maroon and orange.

Looking through my thread collection, I have a spool of Gudebrod garnet (looks maroon to me). I also see that Gudebrod makes a maroon.

Does anyone know which Gudebrod thread colors would come closest to matching the real Virginia Tech colors?

Thanks for any advice !

Pete Kornegay
Camden, NC

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Virginia Tech thread colors
Date: July 15, 2005 08:59PM

I just realized I've committed a spelling faux pas.

It's Hokie, not Hoakie.

Dang that Hooked on Phonics.

Apologies to all you Hokies.

PK

Posted by: Eric Millard (---.roa.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 15, 2005 10:11PM

I believe the official colors of VT are burnt orange and chicago maroon. Looking at the colors Gudebrod offers, I would say you would get real close with Maroon and Orange. Go Hokies!

Posted by: Tim Johnson (---.ma.dl.cox.net)
Date: July 15, 2005 11:10PM

I did a rod a few years ago for my wife, a Hokie graduate, and the Gudebrod maroon and orange, with CP looked great. I used a brown blank. Got her into fishing with me with that one. She really enjoys it.

I always though a Hokie was a neutered turkey?

Good luck with your build.
Tim

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: July 16, 2005 08:57AM

Did a whole set of trolling rods in those colors back in 89'. Gudebrod maroon and orange NCP with white trim bands. Jesse

Posted by: Dan Grulke (---.fairfaxcounty.gov)
Date: July 16, 2005 01:20PM

Do not use Gudebrod Maroon it is closer to purple than it is to Burgandy at least the spool I have is.

Dan Grulke

Posted by: Terry Blair (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 16, 2005 05:06PM

Pete, I've done several Hokie color builds in the past several months. Here are my unscientific findings.
All blanks were matte(light black or charcoal). All rods were wrapped with Gudebrod Garnet #206 and Orange #221.
CP was not used on the first rod, and both colors went "dark" almost to the point you could not say they were Hokie colors, except in sunlight.
Used Gudbrod CP (2 coats, 24 hr. drying time between each) on the next two, and the colors turned out very good. Just be sure to pack tightly and burnish, and all will well in Hokieland.
Good-luck.
Terry

Date: July 16, 2005 08:51PM

Thanks Eric, Tim, Jesse, Dan, & Terry for the advice!!

Tim- A Hokie is a neutered turkey?? ....................not a very noble mascot.

Several work associates are Va. Tech. alumns and one of the guys is having me build this rod to torture the others. They must put something in the water there.

Pete Kornegay

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: July 17, 2005 11:12AM

Tech is not a very noble school, prefer UVA myself. Jesse

Posted by: Tim Johnson (---.ma.dl.cox.net)
Date: July 17, 2005 11:28PM

Pete,
I looked up my colors and I was mistaken, as others pointed out, the Garnet is the color to use not the maroon.

When I was in grad school as NCSU, several other grad students were from VPI&SU, and believe me, having a turkey as a mascot makes ridicule a given. They weren't really sure what a Hokie was themselves, so we let them know what it must have been. Generally went over better after a few rounds at Mitch's on Firday afternoons.

Good luck.

Tim

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: July 18, 2005 04:14PM

I use maroon and orange almost exclusively.

Without color preserver the maroon and the NCP orange work pretty well. The maroon does go a little dark on a gray blank, but looks nice on a green or yellow blank.

A little better match on a light blank or with CP is the garnet and and orange regular thread. Really nice on a yellow blank. Have not tried a white blank but I bet it would be good.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster