I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What to use to take up space in the gaps of the unibutt ferrule
Posted by: Al Johnson (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 15, 2005 05:19PM

What do you guys use to take up space between the blank and the unibutt ferrule? Rigging floss? Thread?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What to use to take up space in the gaps of the unibutt ferrule
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 15, 2005 05:32PM

If we're talking about just a small amount of space, then I'd use drywall tape saturated and filled with RodBond. More space than that, probably cotton cord again with the area filled and saturated with RodBond. Either of these makes a good, durable and long lasting assembly.

Probably the very best method, however, is to get a scrap piece of rod blank that will fit over the butt of your current blank matching taper for taper, gluing that in place and then turning the outside of the new piece to perfectlly fit the uni-butt ferrule. This is more work and likely overkill, but it's a true high quality assembly when done that way. Just depends on what lengths you wish to go. As I said, the above two are perfectly sound and not at all hard to do.

Somebody will mention making bushings from masking tape and packing the space in between with PC7 paste epoxy. That will also work, but you may find the PC7 to be a bit hard to work with, particularly if you're only talking about taking up a small gap.

Posted by: Al Johnson (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 15, 2005 05:38PM

Its a little less that 1/8". Really hardly any space I just like the snugger fit. Thanks for the help. I use the flexcoat epoxy glue. And put this white powdery substance in it to make it thicker. How does this compare to Rodbond and the other brands?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 15, 2005 05:49PM

You don't need to put in any "powdery" substance (and in many cases you shouldn't) to make it thicker. If you need a paste or gel epoxy - get one. If the fit is snug, the Flex Coat epoxy is fine as is.

If the overall difference is 1/8th inch, then you've only got 1/16th inch all the way around. I would think a heavy cord or the drywall tape would be all you'd need. If you haven't used RodBond, you may find it becomes your favorite epoxy to use on most rod building chores. It's a gel and it stays where you put it.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: July 15, 2005 06:21PM

Al,

Tom is right bout someone responding about using masking tape, I guess I am the first "masking tape" user to respond. When needed I use two bands of 1/4 masking tape on blank 1/4" from the top and bottom of ferrule. If you already have a tip top on the blank drill a hole centered on the ferrule to expel air as you slide the ferrule on, otherwise it will pop off with caprtured air pressure as soon as you let go of it. If the tip top is not on leave off until after the ferrule bond has cured.

There are certain fillers used for thickening epoxy for gluing and gap filling. Though some other fillers would provide enough strength to hold a ferrule it would be best acertain it is the correct stuff for the job. I've used both West Systems Epoxy 404 adhesive filler and 406 colloidal silica to thicken liquid epoxy for use in rod building, but the other "fillers" in their line may not be the best to use in this case. I used to use these fillers before I went to using already thick paste epoxies. Now I use kardol, but rod bond is equally good.

Lou

Posted by: Scott Gadsby (---.potshe01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: July 15, 2005 06:22PM

Versitex on the sponsor's list sells graphite unibutt bushings that may work for what you need to take up the small difference in diameter. Here's the link:

[www.versitex.com]

Not sure if it will help but give them a look, they are great to work with. Good luck!
Scott
Lines End

Posted by: Richard Kuhne (66.98.130.---)
Date: July 15, 2005 08:00PM

I will usually wind a strand of copper wire tightly in wide spirals up the blank. Then fill the area with Rod Bond and install. Also remember to coat the inside surfaces of the unibutt ferrule with Rod Bond.

I saw the trick about drilling a small hole in the ferrule end and the drywall tape use in a very early issue of Rodmaker some years ago. Both are also good ideas.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: July 16, 2005 09:31AM

I have use 1/4" tape bands about 3/8" apart on the end of the blank where the ferrule goes and then coat it with Flexcoat and turn it in the dryer. Build it up a little over the size you need then sand to fit. You cannot have to thick of tape on these big rods as it can compress under pressure. I just glued a pair of standup blanks in 50lb. {UB2} butts and the tube of a #18 spin seat was the perfect fit. Fine sand or grit is a good filler when the fit needed is very small. An 80 ferrule with the ridge ground off is a perfect fit in a 130 ferrule.Jesse

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster