I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Overwrap?????
Posted by: dick laxton (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: July 15, 2005 04:35AM

I assume that overwrap is a second or mutiple layers of thread one ontop of another,if this is the correct assumption,when is this required and why and how many overwraps???

The Rookie Curious George is on the move again

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Overwrap?????
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.195.41.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 15, 2005 07:14AM

Only really needed on heavy salt water rods. The underwrap is used to help protect the blank from the guide doing any damage to it.

Date: July 15, 2005 07:50AM

Now you thru a curve at me with that underwrap statement,,,,lets see if I got this correct ,do a wrap on the blank called an underwrap,then position the guide on this bed of thread and wrap over everthing and thats called an overwrap?

DL

Date: July 15, 2005 08:06AM

Yes. The definition is probably in the glossary page

You can also do a search of this site and get loads of info on it.
On light rods it will add weight because of the extra thread and finish
On light rods just make sure your guides are preped well. The underneath should be as smooth as a babys butt

Date: July 15, 2005 08:11AM

I tried that glossory before I asked the question and I can't get the search to work.

Thanks anyway

Date: July 15, 2005 08:15AM

If your doing light stuff you don't need it

Try underwrap

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2005 08:17AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Stan Massey (---.cable.ubr04.uddi.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: July 15, 2005 08:39AM

Dick,

Your assumption that an `overwrap` is a second or multiple layers of thread on top of another is not quite accurate. The question ` when is this required' is simply answered, `always'.

Forget thread wraps and think of the guides. The generally accepted `overwrap' is the thread wrap that goes `over' the guide, i.e. the wrap to hold it in place. The undewrap is a wrap of thread that goes onto the blank prior to positioning the guide. The underwrap is used as either a decorative wrap or in certain cases to cushion the guide feet but, as has been said in another answer, proper guide foot preparation eliminates the need for an underwrap. Having said that it is regularily used on heavier boat, trolling, stand-up rods etc but primarily for asthetic reasons not to particularily cushion a heavy walled saltwater blank.

Use an underwrap on any rod you choose but it does add a slight bit of weight. Not that important on a trolling rod using a reel weighing perhaps 6lbs but could make a difference on say a 3 -6 weight fly rod.

From memory the lightest rod I`ve used an under-wrap on would be a 12 or 14ft salmon fly rod and that was the clients choice. Every rod ever built uses an over-wrap as that is the one that holds on the guides.

Then again some builders may refer to the decorative threads used to create say a diamond wrap over an underwrap of a contrasting colour as the `over-wrap' but I think the generally accepted understanding is the wrap that holds on the guides.
Hope I aint confused the issue,

Stan.

Date: July 15, 2005 08:47AM

Stan

I just thought he knew that guides are held in place buy a wrap of thread ????

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 15, 2005 08:56AM

There is no search function in the glossary. Just find the term you need in alphabetical order.

All guides have at least one "overwrap." Just as Stan mentioned, they aren't going to stay on the rod if you don't have at least one layer of thread over the guide feet. So any "overwrap" refers to a wrap made over the guide feet. "Underwrap" refers to wraps made underneath the guide feet.

A "double" wrap is generally a double overwrap, where you have two layers of thread over the guide feet. This is normally only done on very heavy saltwater boat and trolling rods where you need additional protection against abrasion or very rough handling. When you see "triple" wrap, that refers to three layers of thread over the guide feet.

Date: July 15, 2005 09:07AM

The search is up on top of the page in the RED banner

Date: July 15, 2005 09:53AM

I guess you all think I'm stupid ,I won't bother you with anymore questions

DL

Date: July 15, 2005 09:59AM

No Dick

I think I just misunderstood your question.
Most all guides are placed on the blank and one wrap of thread holds them in place. Then covered with a clear finish to protect them
Heavy rods as salt water may have an underwrap and one or two over wraps of thread. Because of the heavy use.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2005 10:24AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 15, 2005 01:17PM

Dick,

Nobody thinks you're stupid!!!! The best thing about this site is you can ask anything and there is no such thing as a "stupid" question. People are just trying to help. If they thought you were stupid, they would have just ignored you.

Mike

Posted by: Stan Massey (---.cable.ubr04.uddi.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: July 16, 2005 02:20AM

Dick,

as Mike mentioned above you are not thought stupid and your question was in no way stupid. The only way to get an answer is to ask the question which in your case was perfectly legitimate and fair.

Stan

Date: July 16, 2005 04:03AM

Soryy ,guess this 70 year old phart got up on the wrong side of the bed yesterday,

thanks for all the help

Posted by: Wes Peterson (---.tcusa.com)
Date: July 20, 2005 01:52PM

I was told by a professional rod builder that an underwrap is a prequisite for warranty on G Loomis rods. We were talking spinning rods if that makes a difference. Can anybody verify that?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.147.156.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 20, 2005 01:59PM

Does that builder come on this board ??

Date: July 20, 2005 02:19PM

I was told by a professional rod builder that an underwrap is a prequisite for warranty on G Loomis rods. We were talking spinning rods if that makes a difference. Can anybody verify that?

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 20, 2005 02:28PM

G. Loomis doesn't even underwrap their own rods so I doubt that they would require you to do an underwrap! Shoot them an e-mail or call. I

Mike

Date: July 20, 2005 02:28PM

Not sure the builder is on here or not.

I'm kind of new at this gig (1.5 yrs and a dozen rods) so I try to keep learning and this forum has helped a lot! I currently have 2 G Loomis blanks to build so was wondering about the underwraps. Haven't done underwraps before.

What parameters determine when an underwrap should be used?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster