I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Casting Rod - Titan Guides
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 14, 2005 09:13PM

I have the following Amtak Titan guides: 12 Ring V Frame Double Foot - 2, 10 Ring V Frame Single foot - 3, 8 Ring V Frame Single Foot & 3, 7 Ring Fly. I build seven foot popping rods on both conventional and spiral wrap. I got the above guides from a board sponsor to try out. The extreme height of the 10 single foot has me stumped as to how to use this stuff. I tend to mix and match V frame and fly guides from other manufacturers out on the tip section but the height differential on the Amtaks is of concern. Has anyone used the Amtaks on a casting rod and will the above work well on either a conventional or spiral wrap?

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Gon Fishn

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Casting Rod - Titan Guides
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: July 14, 2005 10:48PM

Hello William,
Those sound to be too high for spiral wrapping. I would save them and use them on a spinning rod.

Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: July 14, 2005 11:44PM

Good question, Bill. I've just finished one to take to a friend in Baffin this Sat. I had the same concern about height, but went ahead and did a conventional wrap. Now it looks like Emily may fuzz up my plans for that. Wish I could tell you about performance, but if I go, I won't be back in front of a computer for a week. BTW, I used the nic-12, 1 nia-10, 2 nia-8, and 5 nia-6. Probably could have got by w/ 1 less, but they are LIGHT!

Posted by: Noel Spann (12.39.180.---)
Date: July 15, 2005 12:03AM

Bill, Ellis, Jerry,
I just got 2 sets of Titans in this week to go on a couple of rods. I noticed they looked a little taller too, both rods will be conventional style so I'm looking forward to your findings with these also.
Noel

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.195.41.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 15, 2005 07:30AM

There are two different types of casting guides
The V frame are higher then the Casting. The casting is probably what you should use.
I some times use a V frame guide as the first butt guide depending on reel used then go for the regular casting guides.

Then again you can also go single foot guides as the running guides. Less thread and thus less weight

Some builders even use the single foot guides all the way

Posted by: Dan Grulke (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: July 15, 2005 10:24AM

I have built a "bumber" wrapped baitcasting spinnerbait rod built on a sc3 blank using the Titians. Here is the recipe I used

Dbl ft casting 12
dbl ft casting 10 for the bumber
dbl ft casting 10
dbl ft casting 8
single foot fly guides 6 all the way to the tip

Rod performs good but I would do one thing differently

1) for bumber guide go to a single foot 8. The 10 works but the 8 would deflect the line even less.

Hope this helps

Dan Grulke

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.r8.tncphl.infoave.net)
Date: July 15, 2005 10:24AM

The American Tackle NIA model -- Titan Guide is more of a "Y" type frame guide and is really designed and tartgeted at spinning usage. Both Ellis and Bill B. have made posts with info to consider. Use models NIC, double casting with NIF, single foot fly type or NIV, double V casting, with NIC, double casting with the NIF, single foot fly type combinations. Save your NIA, "Y" frame 10 guides for spinning. Actually, American Tackle refers to the NIA guide, as a "A" frame.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.3.207.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 16, 2005 10:44PM

Check out the American Tackle site ---it's got pictures of the guides

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster