I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cold wet conditions for epoxy applications
Posted by: William Harvey (---.nantahalabank.com)
Date: July 14, 2005 04:46PM

I'm getting ready to put epoxy on the guides of a rod I've been working on but our local weather has been cool and wet all summer (NC mountains) and will most likely continue to be so. Will the high humidity have long-term effects on the durability of the epoxy job, all other things equal? If it's just a longer drying time, I'm used to that since I'm using Aftcote.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cold wet conditions for epoxy applications
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 14, 2005 04:52PM

Humidity by itself will have no effect on your epoxy. My favorite days for applying epoxy are when it's raining. I open the windows and let the dampness keep down the dust.

Epoxy hazing or blushing is caused when there is a concentrated mix of moisture and carbon dioxide present. This is a rare occurance, but it has happened to some. Breathing/exhaling on your finish in order to to get it to release bubbles, while working in a very humid environment, can cause this. But again, it's rare.

Coolness is another matter, to some degree. If the temp is going to be below, say, 65F or thereabouts, you may find the epoxy to be a little harder to manage since it'll be a bit thicker. It will also take a bit longer to set and cure.

Posted by: John Dow (---.236.252.64.snet.net)
Date: July 14, 2005 08:03PM

I for one have always had a problem with the "haze" on epoxy in the summer when it's humid . I have no idea why it happens where I build my rods . I have a shop set up in a basement where I get the "haze " unless I run a de-humidifier . I had 3 epoxy jobs get it , after I asked here, someone mentioned the carbondioxide , probably Tom , I cant remember . After I started to run the de-humidifier for a day or so before epoxy , I have not had a problem since................ I can't explain , but I'm not complaining 'cuse it works . Just thought I would throw that out .. Have Fun , JHD

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Sam Stoner (65.54.154.---)
Date: July 14, 2005 08:15PM

I live just over the state line from you in the foothills in South Carolina. We've had the same humid weather as you folks just over the line - sunlight has been scarce and all of the rivers and streams are full and very muddy from the incessant series of storms. I took advantage of having to stay inside this week to put the finish on 2 rods. The finish on both came out as crystal clear as you could want.

If you follow the normal process, I don't expect that you'll have any trouble with the finish.

Sam

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 14, 2005 09:31PM

Humidity Bah Humbug!! I live in South Louisiana and the humidity seldom gets lower than 90 percent for any period of time. When I apply finish I cut off the air conditioner let the shop sit for about an hour and them mix and apply finish in a room that is plenty hot and full of moisture. Unless something else occurs humidity alone is not the culprit.

I had one finish cloud badly about a year ago. I wiped that rod with a piece of cheesecloth that contained denatured alcohol about 10 minutes before I applied the finish. I am aware that alcohols can under certain circumstances combine with water to form azeotropes. It is highly possible that this water - alcohol "solid" solution could remain on the surface of the blank and not completely dry due to evaporation. I have repeated this action by test and can produce the cloudy finish. Needless to say I do not wipe with any solvent before applying finish.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.195.41.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 15, 2005 07:48AM

If you can heat the finish up maybe with heat lamps??
Just don't overheat or boil it.

That haze is probably high humidity in the air. It can set into finish and leave a Haze. The heat will help keep it out

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster