I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sulky Rayon
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 14, 2005 01:18AM

I have been using Sulky metallics for a few years and really like it. Recently, I have used Sulky rayon 40 on a couple of rods and really like it (337 colors and readily available). I'm curious how many of you have tried it and have you found any drawbacks to it. I use CP so possible problems with coatings shouldn't be a problem.

Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sulky Rayon
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.b.003.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: July 14, 2005 05:18AM

Mike, email Mick regarding the tests we did down here in the Aussie sun might change your mind about rayon and cp that's for sure.

Posted by: John Ridderbos (---.dslglue.ctsmail.net)
Date: July 14, 2005 05:28AM

could you possibly inform everyone about these possible problems? I know I would be interested, and haven't a clue as to who Mick might be.

I used some sulky rayon thread on an 8wt. I used color preserver and the finish turned out very splotchy. Especially where the thread was not making contact with the blank, like the space between the blank and the guides foot. I think I only used one application of CP though, and I probably rushed putting that on.

Any comments?

john

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.45.221.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 14, 2005 07:28AM

Yes
Put that info on this board. That is why it is here

Posted by: Bob Sale (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: July 14, 2005 08:01AM

Mike,
I have used the sulky red/black twist. It faded badly after a year. I did use 811 CP on the wraps.

Posted by: Rich Levy (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 14, 2005 08:11AM

Any negative feeback on the Sulky metallics? I'm about to use the silver as trim on a surf rod instead of the Gudebrod HT.

Posted by: Greg Hileman (---.cessna.textron.com)
Date: July 14, 2005 08:46AM

I have been messing with Sulky thread quite a bit and have come to the point where I have stopped using the size 40 Rayon thread. It is difficult to work with, tends to stretch and can be very difficult to finish without having the blotchiness. I have used it successfully, but I've also had a lot of failures as well. I haven't tried any of the size 30, and think the extra size on the diameter might help it out somewhat. The metallics are an entirely different story. I love using them. I've put them on several rods and they are wonderful to use and look terrific.

Posted by: Eugene Oppe (---.an4.sea18.da.uu.net)
Date: July 14, 2005 01:24PM

Sulky also offers a polyester thread similar to Madiera Polyneon call Poly Deco. It comes in the same colors as the Sulky rayon.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 14, 2005 01:58PM

Has anyone used the Polydeco???

Mike

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.86.29.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: July 14, 2005 11:19PM

Mike,
After the fading test that Myles did, I'll not be using Rayon again, especially with the finish combos that I usually use. I posted a pic of two samples.

For anybody else interested, I did three rod sections using different threads, no CP, flex coat CP, glass coat CP, permagloss, FC high and low build, and LS supreme high and low build, and sent them to Myles who put them in his brutal down under back yard for a couple of months. Thread fading was noticeable within a couple of weeks. I haven't had time to even think of rodbuilding for the past couple of months, but I'm slowly working a full report with pics of each sample. Once that is done and Myles confirms it, it will be available by email to anybody who is interested.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster