I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Component weights
Posted by: Mikko Stenberg (---.kyamk.fi)
Date: July 12, 2005 05:57AM

Here are some weights of some components for the ultimate weight junkies. ;) If this has not been done before, I hope that we could collect a chart of weights of different components to help people out in the future. Hope someone finds this interesting - at least one can clearly see the lightness of Recoil guides compared to regular chrome guides.

REC preformed cork grips:
6.5" Flor Western 12.033g
6.5" Flor Western (uncontoured) 12.588g

REC Recoil RSG stripping guides:
#8 0.362g
#12 0.621g
#16 0.966g

Seymo black/TiCH-ring stripping guides:
#12 1.068g
#16 1.906g

REC Recoil RSN snake guides:
#1/0 0.036g
#1 0.047g
#2 0.050g
#3 0.065g
#4 0.084g

Pac Bay chrome single foot snakes:
#1/0 0.085g
#1 0.095g
#5 0.217g

Y-shaped chrome
#5 0.332g
#4 0.200g

REC Recoil RSCT tip top:
#4.0 0.263g

Pac Bay chrome tip top:
#4.5 0.425g

Snake Brand chrome tip top:
#4.0 0.285g

Chrome hook keeper 0.056g

REC nickel silver winding check:
#25/64 0.520g

REC reel seats:
NBGS BL/walnut 35.333g
NSU BE-maple 38.794g

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2005 01:42PM by Mikko Stenberg.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Component weights
Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (209.200.194.---)
Date: July 12, 2005 01:19PM

So looking at these numbers, if I built two fly rods with a #12 stripper, 7 #1 snakes and a 4.0 tip top, one use Recoils and one using regular components, the rod using the Recoil guides would be .037 ounces lighter. And, I would only have to pay about 3 times as much to save about 1/3 ounce. What a deal. I personally don't see the advantage. I don't know of anyone who could feel that difference in weight and I don't believe anyone I know could tell the difference in blind casting those two hypothetical rods.

Posted by: Bill Vance (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: July 12, 2005 01:48PM

Gerry,

I don't think it is the total amount of weight savings as much as where the weight is saved. In this case the weight savings all falls in front of your hand and much of it is in the tip section as that is where most of the guides fall. I am absolutely convinced that I could feel that 1/3+ oz on a small weight rod up to a 4 or 5 weight and will gladly pay for the weight savings. Also, don't discount the improvement in recovery rates that even a small weight reduction yields.

Regards,

Bill

Posted by: Mikko Stenberg (---.kotopas.fi)
Date: July 12, 2005 01:52PM

Good and well pointed out observation Gerry! This highlights well the importance of light coats and wrappings. But how about the other benefits of Recoil guides.?

Date: July 12, 2005 02:10PM

I could probably also feel 1/3 ounce IF it was all concentrated at the tip of the rod, but when it's distributed over a distance of 5-7', the weight savings at any one point is minimal (the difference in tip top weight is .009 oz) and has very little effect, except maybe on a 1 weight. I built two Pac Bay Tradition 7'9" 3 weights for my son and I. On his I used Amtak holographic spinning guides and on mine I used Forecast single foot wire guides. They both have Rio Pocketwater lines. I've fished with both rods and cannot tell the difference in casting or mending. I know his rod is heavier than mine, but if it were not for the grips, I couldn't tell the difference if I was casting blind-folded.

Posted by: Bill Vance (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: July 12, 2005 05:36PM

I don't get it! Sure the tiptop weight is minimal, but on a 3 pc rod there will most likely be 6 guides in the top section in addition to the tiptop. (assuming a 8 1/2 to 9 foot rod) The added weight is mostly located in the one section where it will have the most negative effect. Remember RECOVERY! It is to me the difference between building a "drafthorse" or a "thorobred".

Date: July 12, 2005 07:14PM

My personal opinion is that sweating over shaving a fraction of an ounce from a rod, unless it's a 1 weight, is beyond reason. It strikes me the same way that using titanium utensils for backpacking does, a lot of extra cost for an insignificant gain. It's probably just my personal likes in how a rod behaves, but I've never liked line cannons. I can cast further than I can even begin to control the line and I don't break tippets when I set the hook. Every rod I've built recovers just fine.

Building custom rods is all about doing it your way. I just view the focus on shaving minimal amounts of weight as excessive.

Posted by: Randy Gerrick (---.dsl.bcvloh.ameritech.net)
Date: July 12, 2005 10:19PM

The weight savings porbably wouldn't matter on a smaller rod such as a 5'6" ultra light but in my opinion on a rod that's as long as 13 + feet such that you'd find on a spey or float rod the weight savings would help in balancing the rod so it doesn't feel as tip heavy.

According to the REC web site the cost of a size 20 Recoil spinning guide costs $4.50 and the size 6 guide of the same model costs $0.50. Considering the cost of other guides, I'm saving in the wallet (doesn't get lighter) and I'm saving on the rod. Sounds pretty good to me.

Randy

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.vnet-inc.com)
Date: July 12, 2005 10:46PM

I think you need to check the prices again. The base price for Recoil spinning guides is $4.75. A size 20 is an add of $4.75 and a size 6 is a minus of $0.50. That makes the cost for the size 20 $9.50 and the size 6 $4.25.

Posted by: Tony Ertola (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 12, 2005 10:56PM

Having 1/3 oz additional wt near the end of a 9' rod will take a more than 1oz heavier reel to balance the weight, for those who like balanced outfits. Also the extra wt at the end (swing wt) makes stopping the rod effectively (common casting fault) more difficult. Casting faults are magnified with increased distance. I find the wt difference of components on a 6'6" 2wt less important than on a 9' 4 or 5wt. Short rods are all light, even bamboo and they're mostly used for casting short distances. Long rods are very difficult to build light on the tip end and they are commonly used to cast longer distances. On a 9' 10wt the difference isn't as noticable because of the greater mass of the whole outfit.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 12, 2005 11:13PM

Gerry is correct about the price of the Rec guides. However, if weight is a big
concern for the project in question the price is well worth it. If slick is what one
is looking for, ceramics are the way to go.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Mikko Stenberg (---.kotopas.fi)
Date: July 13, 2005 11:14AM

It would be interesting to see the weights of the lightest ceramic single foot guides in comparison to the wire (Recoil, chrome etc.) guides. Would anyone happen to have a scale, guides and time and will to do this?

Posted by: Randy Gerrick (---.dsl.bcvloh.ameritech.net)
Date: July 13, 2005 12:37PM

I just took another look at the prices of the guides and I stand corrected. The price list on the website is a bit misleading.

Randy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster