I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tuna Rod
Posted by: David Banaka (209.152.39.---)
Date: July 11, 2005 07:23PM

I need some suggestions for a tuna blank that will be used off of the Oregon coast.

Thanks,

David Banaka

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tuna Rod
Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 11, 2005 08:07PM

I fish out of San Diego long range and like the Calstar blanks. I've gone to 6 1/2' rods as they will cast a bait farther which can be very important fishing off the big boats. I use the graphfighter series, 765L for 50#, 765ML for 60# and 765M for 80#. I'm told the 765XL is a great 40# rod. Obviously other lengths are avail. All are acid wrapped with Fugi LRSG guides

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 11, 2005 08:59PM

How will you be fishing this rod - stand-up, chair, casting, trolling, etc.?

Posted by: David Banaka (209.152.39.---)
Date: July 11, 2005 10:22PM

Casting and trolling.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 11, 2005 10:43PM

If casting then Jim has given you some good ones to choose from. Seeker makes some similar models as does GUSA. 6 and a half feet is probably a good compromise length - long enough to get some casting distance but not so long as to kill you when fighting a fish.

Posted by: John Pinson (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 11, 2005 10:54PM

I just had my third custom big game rod built using a GUSA Predator blank. I've literally caught a mountain of Yellowfin and several respectable Blue Marlin with them. I've been very pleased to say the least

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 12, 2005 03:17AM

Dave,
I've fished a bit for albacore and I don't think you need a rod/reel that uses larger that 20 lb line as they are smaller and can be line shy in the smaller pods that the larger one run in. I use 15 lb line a lot. Just got a SWS540-M blank from Andy Dear at a great price that just might be what your looking for. I'm sure he will have some other suggestions if you give him the specs above.

Date: July 12, 2005 11:40AM

Spencer,
I hope you don't run into the 40-50# albies we had last summer when you're fishing with your 15# line, you'll have an empty reel in no time.......
biggest so far this season in san diego is just under 50#

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 12, 2005 01:39PM

I hear you Jim, I just haven't seen any up here in the colder waters. Caught lots of them while in the Coast Guard coming to the tuna grounds for broke boats on heavy salmon rods and 20 lb line, can't remember ever being close to spooled or meeting an albi that the rods wouldn't handle.

Date: July 12, 2005 04:23PM

Used to have to go to Morro Bay to get the toads, now they are down here, go figure. My biggest last summer was over 45#, gave me a real good fight .

Posted by: Ben (---.156ce.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: July 18, 2005 08:50AM

Hi

Need some suggestion in choosing a Calstar tuna rod /blank model that can be cutomised to a 2 piece rod for casting/popping purpose. Intended length is between 7-71/2 FT, recommended for 20-50 LB line.

Thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster