I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dan Craft SigV 8' 4" 3/4 weight
Posted by: Bill Vance (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: July 11, 2005 02:27PM

I have searched for info on this blank and have not turned up specific data on it's line rating other than the CC information, (which might as well be in Greek) but if I am intrepreting correctly, this blank is closer to a 5wt than a 4 and no where near a three. Is that consistent with those of you that have built on this blank? Any information as to relative quickness, recovery, lines used and etc would be much appreciated. Comparisons to other manufacturers rods would help also.

Thanks in advance,

Bill

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dan Craft SigV 8' 4" 3/4 weight
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: July 11, 2005 02:44PM

Hi Bill! This is a beautiful blank, to be sure--but you're right in your assessment that it's more a 4 than a 3 (at least for my kind of fishing). As you probably know, a blank loads up based on the line weight in grains, so 35 ft of 3wt line will load this about the same as 30ft of 4wt. I've tested a number of these and they consistently come in around a "solid" 4 using the Common Cents System. HOWEVER, they cast a 3wt line quite nicely...especially on the slightly longer distances. I've found that despite what you end up with re: CC numbers, Dan's blanks are rated the way they are for a reason--they really do cast that line weight nicely, the way he envisioned when he designed the blank(s).

In terms of recovery, etc., this blank has a fantastic speed of recovery--it throws incredibly tight loops and can generate very high line speed. It's one of my 3 or 4 favorites or Dan's lineup. VERY smooth in the casting stroke, and incredibly light in hand--especially if built with REC Recoil guides or H&H standoffs. "Smooth and CRISP" is probably the best description--crisp NOT meaning stiff.

I like it with Rio PocketWater and Cortland Clear Creek (both in 4wt), but recently tried it with AirFlo's Platinum Chalkstream 4wt and absolutely loved it--that line is a little "heavy" (i.e. more like a 4.3wt) and it loaded the blank beautifully while still allowing for very delicate presentations, even in close.

I don't personally think the Sig V has a peer, but the Sage XP would probably come closest for comparison.

Hope this helps! :)

Posted by: Robert Widmaier (---.sttlwa.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 11, 2005 06:03PM

Bill:

I have a Sig V 8' 4" 4wt that I built about 2 years ago. I actually met Dan for a coffee while in his neighborhood and purchased it at the time. I did not know it was a 3/4wt, so I have built and fished it as a 4wt. Like John, its one of my favorite 4wt rods!! Since it is a shorter rod, I tend to fish it on smaller streams where my casts are not beyond about 40 - 50 ft so the 4wt line works well for me. I use a Cortland 444 Classic line (peach color) and it is great!! It gives a nice delicate delivery of smaller flies. I also agree with all the positive things John says about the blank in terms of its feel and handling. Like I said, it one of my favorite 4wt rods.

If you are looking for a 3wt rod, my favorite is the Rainshadow IF793, a 2 piece, 7' 9" rod in their RX7 line.

I hope this helps.

Bob Widmaier

Posted by: Dan Sparks (---.co.kern.ca.us)
Date: July 11, 2005 06:49PM

I have built two rods on this blank. The blank is very light, and has a medium fast action. If you keep the weight of the guides to a minimum they are very quick. Although they CC around 5.4 to 5.5, and would cast a five weight at close distances, to me they are four weights. In fact I use a DT3F Mastery, and it casts that line nicely once the rod begins to load, about 35’.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.136.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: July 12, 2005 03:58AM

i don't have much experience with fishing different blanks. so far i've been concentrating on forecast in the 7'-6" through 8'-6" sizes and pac bay rainforests, in 7-9/3wt and 9 foot, 4 wt, but so far, the signature V 8'-4" 3/4 weight is my favorite. the only thing i DON'T like is it's a 3pc, when i would have rather had a 4 pc at the time, but now, for all practical purposes it's something i don't even think about anymore.

many people refer to it as being a light blank. it doesn't seem so to me, maybe because the blank's diameter is bigger thyan the 7'-9" rainforest i have in the 3 wt so it's misleading in my head, but it's not heavy either, far from it actually. keep in mind my limited experience with blanks ;-) when i started flyfishing, i pictured myself leaning towards "moderate" actions, chalk it up to the romantic in me. we all know how subjective that term is nowadays. this Sig V is not what most would term moderate, yet, it's action is pretty nice. in fact, it's changed my perspective. the "fast recovery" is a nice feature. i'm not a great caster by any means but it allows me to reach 40 feet easily without much thought put to it and i would imagine quite farther with a little concentration but my fishing conditions don't require it. some say it casts FOR you, and i would nod in agreement. i chose the sanded matte finish, matching it up with a bellinger cap and ring downlocking seat and black and white jasper thread with single foot titanium coated wire guides (i think). the offset single foots from hopkins and halloway would be rather nice i think, if it didn't compete with tube storage issues.

i've only used a rio selective trout WF4F but feel no need to experiment yet. it casts wonderfully with this line (for me) and i usually fish 20-40 feet out on streams for trout.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Bill Vance (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: July 12, 2005 01:35PM

Gentlemen,

Thanks for all the most helpful information, much more than I expected. I have some experience with the Dan Craft blanks, having built on the 8'9" four weight which I use alot. Interestingly, that blank actually made up into a 8'11" rod and there are ocassions when it is just too much of a tool. The smaller 8'4" sounds like it would fill a niche for me. I have a ultra light REC pewter alum/cocobola reel seat and I would match it up with the Recoil guides and top. From the descriptions you all have provided, that should make up into a nice rod.

Thanks again for all the help,

Bill Vance

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster