I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Casting Tests
Posted by: Rich Levy (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 10, 2005 11:07PM

It's mentioned so matter of factly, make some casting tests to locate the ideal location for guides before wrapping. What exactly do you do to tweak your guide locations once you have a starting point? Is it the first guide or two nearest the reel that require the most tweaking? Do the guides nearest the tip have to do more with static loading than casting performance? How do you know when it's right, or getting closer? Is it the sound the line makes or lack of it during the cast? How do you go about the process, and when do you know it's right?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Casting Tests
Posted by: Noel Spann (12.39.180.---)
Date: July 11, 2005 08:51AM

Rich,
Check out the Library and read an article called "Static Guide Placement" by Tom Kirkman (second article from the bottom). It should answer all your questions, if not come back.
Hope this helps,
Noel

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 11, 2005 08:54AM

The first or butt guide, is the one you're most concerned with on initial casts. This is particularly true with a spinning reel. Once you've gotten that one located in the position that seems to work the best, you can adjust the sizes of other guides and see what happens there. I often tell people to use the smallest and lightest guides that will still get the job done. So, if I have say, #8 running guides and it works pretty well, I'll drop to #7's and then #6's just to see if there is any difference, or any increase in distance. If not, I'll consider whether or not I get just as much distance. If so, I stay with the smaller ones. If it turns out that my distance fell off, I'll move back up. You'll have to work out your own method for doing all this, but after a few it isn't very hard.

And I will mention that if you set up your spinning rods as outlined in the library article here, you can test cast all you like, but rarely will you find that you have to make an major adjustments to your guide set up.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: July 11, 2005 10:28AM

Keep in mind with teh smallest guides possible - if any knots will be passing through the guides. Especially braid to Mono knots, where depending on the knot you tie it may hang up in the guide if you go too small.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster