I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Painting Blanks
Posted by: Scott Youschak (---.arpa.kmcmail.net)
Date: July 09, 2005 03:53PM

I realize this is a common question on this forum. I've searched the archives and just want to verify what I've found to be correct. After painting the blank with Fusion spray paint (seems to be most popular paint for this application) I just spary with spar urethane (I assume the spray version of this?)? Is this enough protection for the paint, or do I then need to apply permagloss over this coat? I've tried to apply permagloss directly over the paint but it takes up the paint. I've also tried flexcoat over the paint but this produces a very thick coat that does not coat the rod evenly. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Painting Blanks
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 09, 2005 04:24PM

Tint the Permagloss to the color of your choice and just do it all in one step. This results in a lighter yet tougher end product. I am assuming, of course, that you can actually get the color you want by tinting the Permagloss. If not, you may well have to do it in two steps - paint with an over coat of something.

Posted by: Pete Kornegay (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: July 09, 2005 04:30PM

Hi Scott- I've experimented with a couple of paints and top-coats with varying degrees of success but as of yesterday, the combination most successful for me is the spray-type auto touch up paint with a coat of Perma Gloss a few days later. I used Dupli Color (purchased at Auto Zone) auto spray paint. Bill Boettcher and others have used Plasti Kote with success.

Step by step- here's what I did on a scrap piece of blank:

Using a Scotchbrite pad, took the surface of the blank to a water break free status.
Wipe off the blank with a dry paper towel.
"Dust" the blank with the spray paint in sweeping strokes so that you don't get runs or heavy spots (spray can is 12" or so from the blank and it helps to have a helper).
Wait a few minutes and dust it again.
Repeat (it took me a while to get this right).
Let the paint dry for several days..
Make a slit or a hole in a foam brush, soak the foam brush in Perma Gloss, apply the Perma Gloss quickly down the blank (no more than 3 or 4 strokes should do it).
Hang the blank in a dust-free, bug free environment to cure.

Using this method, I turned a scrap piece of standard matte gray graphite blank into a fiery red blank.

The Perma Gloss surface passed my stress test with flying colors (tapping the blank good & hard several times with the backside of my pocket knife blade).

When I did this same procedure using spray MinWax Spar Urethane, the cured surface was not durable

These were my results, your mileage may vary.

Pete Kornegay

Date: July 09, 2005 04:35PM

I use Permagloss on the graphite wading staffs I make and even bumping and banging rocks and whatnot, it holds up remarkably well. It's one of the tougher single part finish products you'll come across.

Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 09, 2005 05:36PM

A suggestion on what I consider a very good paint is SEM Color Coat. It can be purchased at automotive paint supply houses. It has the felx additive already in it. Covers very well with very light coats. Just finished painting a fire red Calstar Graphiter.

Posted by: Scott Youschak (---.knology.net)
Date: July 09, 2005 05:40PM

Thanks for the info.

I would like to try both methods. But have a couple questions.

First, Tom, how many parts paint to permagloss would I use to tint the permagloss? Also what is a wading staff and why are you banging it on rocks?

Second, Pete, The Permagloss does not take up the Duplicolor? Also when you say "Repeat (it took me a while to get this right)" do you mean to start again with scotchbrite pad or to just put another coat of paint on? Finally do I put just one coat of permagloss on?

Thanks for the info.

Scott

Date: July 09, 2005 08:38PM

I really can't advise you on how many parts pigment to Permagloss - that would vary with what pigment you used and what shade you're after.

Wading staffs are used by fishermen who wade rivers and streams. They get beat and banged on the bottom half as they engage rocks and boulders and such. 80lb class graphite trolling rod blanks made the very best wading staffs imagineable. Far better than any of the commercially made aluminum ones.

Posted by: Pete Kornegay (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: July 09, 2005 09:27PM

Scott- When I said "Repeat", what I meant was to put a third coat of spray paint on the blank.

After allowing the spray paint to dry for a few days and then applying a coat of Perma Gloss, the Perma Gloss did not take up or react with the Dupli Color spray paint at all. Perma Gloss is so tough, that I'll likely only use one coat when I paint an entire blank.

Keep in mind that if you decide to mix pigments with Perma Gloss, you'll have to work very quickly. Once Perma Gloss is exposed to humidity in the air, it begins curing right away.

Hope this helps.

Pete Kornegay

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster