I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

hypolon &eva
Posted by: david williams (---.formysite.com)
Date: July 08, 2005 08:48PM

i am wanting to use the colored hypolon .
the id is 11/16 and the butt dia. on the rod is 1 1/8 in. will the hypolon stretch that much?
(2) how do you go about determining how far you can stretch the hypolon or the eva?
(3) the id on the eva is 3/4 inch will this work on this rod also?
what should i use to glue it?
two part appoxie (from walmart )
rod bond or does it matter ( i understand rod bond is still a two part mixture )
i will be changing the colors thru out the grip
thanks for all help

david williams

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: hypolon &eva
Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.200-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 08, 2005 08:54PM

I would think hypalon would stretch that much. I just stretched mine about the same. Just my way of doing it, but I wrap mine in paper towels and put in the microwave for 30 seconds or so (this seems to help a lot to me), use lots of rod bond starting way up the blank, and just push on the top of the grip to make sure you get plenty of lube from the rod bond.

Use two part epoxy and you may have trouble, it doesn't have the lubricating quality of rod bond.

Posted by: Henry Curtis (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: July 08, 2005 08:55PM

Use the installation instructions listed here on the FAQs page and you can stretch it to almost any size. Good reading.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 08, 2005 09:09PM

David,
1) I don't think the EVA will strech enough but the Hypalon might. One way to install foam grips is to
use air pressure. A gas station air hose works great if you do not have a compressor. Apply air and
push down at the same time. If the fit is tight enough no glueing is needed. Glue will also act as a
lubricant while wet and allow the grip to slide easier.
2) Rod bond is the first choice of a lot of builders. 2 part epoxy also works great. Take care not to glue if you are not sure about the fit. It's not easy or even impossible to remove the adhesive from the foam once
applied.

Hope this helps and good luck with the project.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 08, 2005 11:47PM

I failed to mention earlier that foam grips are easily reamed if the ID. is to small.
Instructions for making reamers are located in the board library. (#6 from the bottom)

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 09, 2005 09:41AM

Agree on the FAQs instructions. Best and easiest way to do it. You don't need microwaves or shaving cream or air pressure. Just do what it says and you can slide a tiny EVA or Hypalon grip on the largest of blanks with just fingertip pressure.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 09, 2005 09:46AM

Let's not get carried away - you are going to need more than fingertip pressure to slide a piece of Hypalon with an 1/16ID onto a blank with a 1 1/8"OD butt. Same if you were going to instal EVA with a 1/2"ID onto a 1"OD butt - even with lubing the blank, getting the EVA coated on teh inside - it's gonna take some force to get it to slide down.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.centcom.mil)
Date: July 09, 2005 11:40AM

I've read and started off putting my grips on exactly like the directions in the FAQ. I've found that hot water (I forgot to write wet paper towels... wouldn't put it in the microwave dry.) seems to help immensley, it softens up the grips and I don't have nearly as hard of a time. This is just how I do it however, just like tape vs arbors, everyone has their own way and style and belief in what way is better.

No matter what, as Billy said, it'll take a good push to make it stretch, I'd make sure you have a good solid place to put the butt against while pushing the grip on. I usually put newspaper on the floor.

Phil

Posted by: david williams (---.formysite.com)
Date: July 09, 2005 12:11PM

thanks guys i have used eva twice before but it was real close to the size of the blank.
i just didnt know how far i could stretch it.
i used rod bond then but i dont think i have enough left to do this one with.
but have the two part appoxie .
didnt know if it would be okay to use it or not.
i will check out the faq page and do some reading
THANKS AGAIN FOR THE INFO.

david williams

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 09, 2005 01:14PM

I would hope that no one would try to put a grip with a 1/4 inch bore onto a blank butt with a 1 inch OD. Then again, you never know what somebody may do.

You can generally stretch most grips to about twice their inside bore and if you use the advice on the FAQs page, it really shouild't take much pressure to get them into place. But again, if I was looking at mounting a grip onto a blank with an OD of 1 inch, I'd probably want to look for a grip with an ID of at least 5/8th to 3/4 inch (even better) ID.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster