I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

straight weaving
Posted by: John Michael Dunaway (---.dsl.austtx.swbell.net)
Date: July 06, 2005 08:37PM

I am having a hard time with a weave I am doing. I made my own pattern and it is identical on both sides. Is there some kind of secret to getting it even. It seems to kind of drift down on the right side. I am using a loom I got from mudhole. It is a longhorn head if that helps. The horn on the left turned out perfect and the body but the one on the right just does not look right. Any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.
Thanks,
John-Michael

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: straight weaving
Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca1.elnk.dsl.genuity.)
Date: July 06, 2005 09:14PM

John; If the wrapping thread is coming up in front and pulling the design threads down as you weave you will have to watch them very closely to be sure they stay up where they should when you bring them back to the right. This is especially true where long threads are being brought back to the right. Blank taper may also have something to do with what you are seeing. Without a picture of your set up and the weave It's hard to be any more helpful. How much tension are you using on the wrapping thread and are you weaving over an underwrap or just on the blank?

Posted by: John Michael Dunaway (---.dsl.austtx.swbell.net)
Date: July 06, 2005 09:33PM

I am wrapping directly on to the blank. I have a lot of tention on the thread. I will try and back off and redo the last 10-15 threads and ensure they are not twisting down the blank. Do you think rotating the right side of the loom might help this or is that no going to play much of a factor at all?

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 06, 2005 10:26PM

Hi John

If I see my threads not going straight I use a tool to push the threads back onto a straight line from time to time. I made a too out of a little screwdriver you would normally use to put screws back in your glasses. I rounded the head then really smothed the head with sand paper and jewelery ruge(sp). I tested it for burrs and sharpness with cotton balls to make sure it didnt snag anything. Also when you are moving threads back and forth you can make slight adjustments then.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca1.elnk.dsl.genuity.)
Date: July 06, 2005 11:31PM

John; I wouldn't change the loom position as long as it hasn't shifted on the blank. If you set up properly the design center thread should be running right down the center of the axis you are weaving on. You don't want to change that. You only need about 6oz of tension so if you are using more than that you might try backing off a bit. I think you will find that you just aren't used to correcting the alignment when you bring the threads back to the right. You may have to do that as you bring them back and again on the next pass or two. Just try to get used to keeping an eye on them.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.a.004.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: July 07, 2005 03:44AM

John, if you can get Doc's DVD/video he explains and shows you how to keep adjusting the threads to keep them in line. Doc's video will improve you weaving 100% each time you watch it. I was like you used to much tension so when it came to packing and shifting threads they wouldn't move, Doc explain to me I was using to much tension so on the next weave backed right off and bingo it all came together. Give Doc and email he usually has a video/DVD on hand.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2005 06:20AM by Myles Boon.

Posted by: Drew Kasel (---.binc.net)
Date: July 07, 2005 10:19AM

I just want to point out what an awesome oxymoron "straight weaving" is.

I love it.

And good advice on not overtensioning.

Posted by: John Michael Dunaway (---.dnb.com)
Date: July 07, 2005 12:57PM

Got it all straightened up last night. Much easier fix than I anticipated. I am definately going to be getting Doc's video as well as some of his patterns. I have not yet ventured into color change weaves but assume they are covered in the video as well. I appreciate everyones assistance.
Thanks again,
John-Michael

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster