I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Butt wrap finished-how do YOU remove the excess?
Posted by: eric riggs (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 06, 2005 02:36PM

When I do a butt wrap, I apply masking tape to the blank at either end of the wrap.
I put the tape sticky side up, and wrap it around-on itself -so it won't slide up or down.
As the wrap progesses and the thread builds up, I have to add more layers of tape to give me something to hold down the thread ends.
I usually end up with 4 or 5 layers of tape and thread. I lay down heavy twine lengthwise, in between layers of tape to help me
remove this stuff when the wrap is finished (sort of like a rip cord).
Still, I always have a problem getting this waste off !
I have to use razors and sissors - slicing and hacking away - twice I have inadvertantly left small scratches in the blanks
finish trying to get this mass of thread off.
Anybody got any tricks, hints, or secrets removing this stuff in a safe way that won't endanger the blank from razor scratches??????

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Butt wrap finished-how do YOU remove the excess?
Posted by: Noel Spann (198.214.51.---)
Date: July 06, 2005 02:56PM

Eric,
Cut a drinking straw into 2" pieces and lay them lengthwise, one on each end of your wrap. Wrap your first layer of tape over these and when your done you can insert the tip of your scissors and cut it off tape, thread, and all.
Hope this helps,
Noel

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: July 06, 2005 03:55PM

Eric - do a search for Paper Towel & Popsicle stick - I've posted this a few times on here, there are even pictures.

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.148.131.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: July 06, 2005 04:05PM

Why are you putting the sticky side up? I tape the threads down until I am finished wrapping and then start the trim wrap. When I get to a point I want to cut the threads, I do so and then just unwrap the tape.. off comes the tape and the ends of the threads all at the same time.

Tight lines

Art

Date: July 06, 2005 04:58PM

Thanks Noel and Billy!!!! Duhhhh- why didn't I think of these simple fixes??????
Art- I don't like getting sticky tape residue all over the blank and- I hate having to cut off a piece
of tape for each thread I lay down ( i wrap all my wraps one thread at a time-spool in hand).
I find it much easier to have a mass of sticky on both ends I can just stick the thread into.

Posted by: Seth Holt (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: July 06, 2005 07:42PM

I put color preserver on the butt wrap when I am done wrapping. I don't put any on the ends. Then it is an easy job to cut the thread and trim the ends before the trim wraps and the finish. I have done this many times and it works well. The wrap will not unravel if you are careful.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 06, 2005 08:13PM

Eric - this Winter you have to make one of the NERBs gatherings.

Posted by: larry erickson (207.218.44.---)
Date: July 06, 2005 08:14PM

Eric,

I have run into the same issue and have been doing it this way, right or wrong.

I start with a width of 3M painter tape sticky down, each end. Then I wrap that with 3M transfer adhesive. It's really sticky and holds lots of thread before you fill it up or it loses tackiness due to touching it. If it quits holding thread I add another layer, etc., until I'm done. Then I have actually coated the rod with epoxy sealing the area between the tape ends. Then I remove the thread/tape ends, do the trim and then final epoxy coat, hopefully. Since I seldom get the first coat right anyway, this works for me. If you try the transfer tape make sure you put painters tape under it cuz it's a bugger to get off. Kinda like Seth does above.

larry

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: July 07, 2005 09:43AM

There is no need to tape down the tip end of the butt wrap. Aprox 1" past the tip end of the wrap I will wrap about 10" of masking tape which will form a ridge or dam to keep the thread from sliding back. Make your forward pass with your thread, circle around the blank forward of the tape and head back the other way. When you get to the grip end tape the thread down and head back the other way, do this as long as it takes to do your butt wrap.When you are ready to cut the threads on the tip end cut on top of the masking tape dam and you will never harm the blank. Jesse

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: July 07, 2005 11:45AM

I take Jesse's advice one step further, I wrap from teh tip to teh butt, and make the turn between the first pattern & teh foregrip. Never have a problem with threads coming off the foregrip, cutting tape off teh foregrip, or with threads sliding around. The only time I need tape at both ends is when I do a split wrap and have different colors coming from different directions.

Date: July 08, 2005 01:30PM

I used the popsicle stick trick last nite.... WORKS like a charm!
By the way......thanks for all the suggestions HOWEVER.... I DON"T have any problems wrapping my rods.
I just have a hard time removing the excess after i'm FINISHED. (and I have no problems with waste removal upsetting my wraps either).
Cutting down through many layers of thread and tape is just a real B*$@H!
Having that popsicle stick in there makes all the differance- I was able to remove everything in half the time!
The stick protected the blank from the blade and by using three sticks, I was able to build up enough of a gap to
fit some sissors up under there as well, NO SCRATCHES!
I am now one happy camper :^)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster