I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank suggestions
Posted by: Dave DeJong (206.9.100.---)
Date: July 05, 2005 07:03PM

Hi
I'm getting ready to build my first rod. I need suggestions for 7'6" medium action 3 wt blanks in the $30-40 range. I like to fish from canoes and am new at fly fishing-absolutely love it! I think eventually I will want to build a rod with Steffen Bros glass. My favorite haunts are sheltered smaller bodies of water with 35-40 ft casts the max. Any suggestions in that price range and action to learn on?
Thanks
Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank suggestions
Posted by: larry pirrone (---.los-angeles-03rh16rt-04rh15rt.ca.dial-access.at)
Date: July 05, 2005 07:16PM

call neal at neals fishing products. the tiger eye boank may be what you are looking for and the price is in your ballpark.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 05, 2005 08:35PM

The 2003 Forecast blanks at Schneider's are cheap enough that you could buy two and pay shipping, or one and the rest of a kit.

Posted by: Tony Ertola (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 05, 2005 09:01PM

I've built 7'6" 4wt rods with both forecast and tiger eye blanks. I like them both but think the tigereye to be a bit smoother and better up close. I would not consider either medium (moderate?) action blanks. The forecast is fast action and a little stiff but can really get the line out there. The tigereye is med/fast and maybe a litte softer in the tip. I also prefer the tigereye brown over the forecast blue.

I don't find fly casting from a canoe to be an easy task. Though I really like 7 1/2' rods, from a canoe I prefer an 8 1/2' rod.

Tony

Posted by: Ed Casteel (---.ok.ok.cox.net)
Date: July 05, 2005 10:24PM

I just completed my first rod which was a Hook & Hackle 3wt 7'6" rod. The kits are cheap on the H&H special page. I haven't fished the rod yet but in practicing in the yard it has a nice moderate action that throws a good distance with a nice presentation.

Posted by: Greg Hileman (---.cessna.textron.com)
Date: July 06, 2005 09:27AM

I haven't cast the 3 weights, but I've built 3 or 4 rods on 7 1/2 and 8 foot 4 weight Forecast blanks. I really like the blanks, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them, especially for beginners. Don't get me wrong, though. They are a terrific blank, especially considering the cost involved.

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: July 06, 2005 12:17PM

I think the 7'9" 3wt is a "sweet spot" in the Forecast line up. It is a little faster action than moderate, but I think the faster action for line pick-up and the potential for smaller loops and the little extra length would help when fishing out of a canoe. imo, a nice thing about Forecasts, and Tiger Eyes, is their quality at their prices allows room in your budget for you to "splurge" on the components - eg, using your favorite brand of ceramic guides and tip top.

Posted by: Dave DeJong (---.mr.net)
Date: July 07, 2005 07:12PM

Steve Rushing Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think the 7'9" 3wt is a "sweet spot" in the
> Forecast line up. It is a little faster action
> than moderate, but I think the faster action for
> line pick-up and the potential for smaller loops
> and the little extra length would help when
> fishing out of a canoe. imo, a nice thing about
> Forecasts, and Tiger Eyes, is their quality at
> their prices allows room in your budget for you to
> "splurge" on the components - eg, using your
> favorite brand of ceramic guides and tip top.

Thanks everyone for the replies!. But I have a question for Steve Rushing. I see that Forcast makes the 7'9" in both in RX6 and RX7. Which one were you refering to? I'm really interested in this one.
Thanks
Dave

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 07, 2005 11:03PM

I was referring to the RX6. What I grew use to calling Forecast versus Rainshadow RX7. I built a lot on the old teal color & liked them a lot (after recoloring them), the new dark blue from the new source is imo even better. I know several sponsors carry them and will be priced in the low $20. I've also built several rods in the RX7 series in heavier wts. I think they build into great rods too. This is a personal opinion: in the lighter power rods, 3 wts and down, I do not think the "disadvantages" between the RX6 & RX7 series makes a whole lot of difference - for example the actual weight of the blank. I also actually like the usually slightly slower action of the inexpensive blanks (although the RX6 7'9" to me is on the fast side of medium fast, sorry I haven't CCed one). So I use a lot of "inexpensive" blanks for my light line wt rods, the RX6 (what I still want to call Forecast) being a favorite. The money I "save" is then available for the heavier line wt blanks where I think the differences between inexpensive and mid-price range blanks is a lot more noticeable.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster