I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Anyone ever....
Posted by: William Harvey (---.nantahalabank.com)
Date: July 05, 2005 04:27PM

Has anyone ever cut down a Seeker CLB 708 by a few inches? I'm building one for light to medium duty trolling, for Spanish and the occasional blue or king, and it seems to me the tip could be a little more stout than it came from the factory.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone ever....
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 05, 2005 04:39PM

It's soft for a reason - it allows you to use live bait with great success. I'd be careful before I started trimming that tip - I've used the CLB702, 04, 06 and 08 over the years and really, really like those blanks just because of those soft tips. It would not, however, be my first choice for throwing plugs. But for live baiting, it's a hard blank to beat.

Cut a few inches off that blank and you'll have a pool cue. Be careful there.

Posted by: William Harvey (---.nantahalabank.com)
Date: July 05, 2005 04:57PM

I agree it is a perfect live bait rod. This rod was recommended to me as a trollig rod, and will be most likely used to pull spoons with two maybe three ounce weights on them. Odds are slim it will ever be used for live baiting. Did I get a bad recommendation? I've done plenty of trolling and when I look at other trolling rods I worry about the soft tip. I was looking at it last night and it seems like taking a few inches off, probably no more than 6 at the absolute most assuming that didn't make it too stiff, would give it a little more backbone.

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: July 05, 2005 07:13PM

I don't happen to troll spoons myself,but there are guys that troll those big Bunker Spoons for stripers. My understanding is that the softer tip aloows the lure trolled to have a more favorable swimming action in the water. I may be wrong so wait n see wait else is said about it. There are other boards for fishing that may be more helpful but iI don't know what they are. I would look for sites relating to the northeast Atlantic.
Good luck,
Chuck

Date: July 05, 2005 07:43PM

If you remove 6 inches off that blank, you'll have a stick. A very powerful stick. Not much flex at all without a pretty good load on it.

I think you might want to tie your lure or spoon on the blank at various locations back from the tip and then hoist it and play it around and get a feel for what differing amounts of trim might do to it. It's just such a very fact action blank and 6 inches off the tip will really put you back into where real meat of that model begins.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 05, 2005 10:03PM

William,
I would listen to Toms comments if I were you. I do a lot of trimming of blanks and it is surprising how much affect trimming a small amount off a blank will have, particularly a fast action blank. I think trimming six inches off of that blank is going to turn it into a club. Either use a moveable tie on the tip as Tom suggests or trim off small, 1/2 inch, pieces and then try it.

Posted by: William Harvey (65.14.20.---)
Date: July 06, 2005 08:37AM

Agreed, 6 inches is too much. I looked again last night and it looks like you could trim 2 inches off and still not change tip size. I promise I won't trim too much! As with any type of rod you build for the first time, I'm learning.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: July 06, 2005 09:15AM

The best thing you could do, is ask a question here for recommendations for a Trolling rod for etc & etc. That's just not the right blank, don't force it to work & be disappointed, just use the correct blank off the bat.

Chuck - there is a difference between soft tipped Glass rods, and soft tipped Seeker 708 (and Calstar 700XL). The Glass rods bend much more into the butt, whereas both of those blanks shut off way up the blank. I consider the tip on those 2 blanks "floppy". I do not live bait fish or troll, but from what I've read they both excel in live baiting, and even light plastic/jig fishing (1-3oz), but I don't think either or a good choice for trolling.

Posted by: William Harvey (65.14.20.---)
Date: July 06, 2005 09:42AM

I did get advice on this site, unfortunately I just chose the wrong piece of advice to take despite my best efforts to explain myself. My new course of action is to finish this rod as what it really is, a live bait rod. Grips, gimbal, and reel seat are already on it. I know someone that will buy it and love it.

SO, I will ask the question one more time: Which blank should I use for light to medium offshore trolling, spoons with up to 3 oz. weights? Seeker SM30 series and Calstar 660 Series L have been recommended. Thanks for the help-

Date: July 06, 2005 10:06AM

I don't know that the CLB708 wouldn't make a nice trolling rod, but I do know that it'll stiffen up quick if you take even a few inches off of it. That may or may not be want you want. I can't say.

I have a buddy that uses the 704's for trolling spoons and plugs for Spanish Mackeral. He loves them and uses them full length.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster