I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

When to use rollers and not
Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 05, 2005 10:19AM

When should you use rollers on a stand up rod? I've seen some rods built from a guy in Orange Beach Alabama and he used Fuji LRSG's. I know a guy who has one and he uses 125lb line on this rod. It's a Calstar 760H (50-130). So, what determines when you should use roller guides? I've built a couple stand up rods but want to learn more about them to make them perform as best as I can. I do have the RM article on stand up rods somewhere.....just don't know where "somewhere" is right now....lol

Thanks,
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: When to use rollers and not
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 05, 2005 10:54AM

Yes, we discussed this in depth in the article. For the most part, either will work. It's a toss up between what you expect the rod to encounter. I always liked the ceramics and have used them up to 130lb class rods (which I could still get the Fuji Turbo Mushroom version of the LRSG) and routinely used them on 30lb and 50lb rods (LRSG). Because they required no maintainence, they were a good choice for customers I had and which I knew would not ever clean or lube roller guides. And remember, a locked up roller guide is about the worse thing you can possibly drag a fishing line across.

On the other hand, a well performing roller guide is about the easiest thing your line will ever run through. If you know you or your customer will give them the routine maintainence they need, then they're really hard to beat. You can crack rings, but about all you can do to damage a roller guide is somehow drop it and bend something (pretty rare) or just fail to keep them cleaned and lubed.

Date: July 05, 2005 11:22AM

Makes sense to me Tom. Never thought about whether or not the end user would maintain the rollers.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: July 05, 2005 12:42PM

One of the rods that was dropped off for rebuild recently has rollers installed. I pointed out to the owner that one of the rollers was seized, the roller not turning. I suggested ringed guides and he liked the idea of the no maintenace aspect of it - ringed guides it is!

On my personal rods I also prefer ringed guides, I have always liked the idea of not having to mess with the rollers. I have never had a line part because a ring guide got hot, even after getting some pretty hairy runs on speedy fish such as a wahoo. So ringed guides work for me.

Lou

Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 05, 2005 01:27PM

I just got off a 7 day long range trip(my big fish was a 65# bft) where I took 9 rods and all were built with Fugi SIC guides, LRSG on the heavy rods and HNSG on the lighter rods. I like them cause they cast better than roller guides. I only have roller guides on 100# class rods and up.
btw, all my rods are acid wrapped and again I was the only guy on the boat with acid rods!!

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 05, 2005 01:30PM

Hi Steve

Toms comments are right on as to the abrasion resistance of both.

I, like Lou have used SIC ring guides on big game fish ie wahoo and YFT of several hundred pounds with out line failure. I wouldnt fear using them. That being said; Aftco has a boothe right down from mine at the Fred Hall Sportfishing show with a display going during the whole show. One rod rollers(dah) and the other Fuji USGs. The rods are on a rocker with a 10lb ball tied to the line. I dont know how many hours it takes but of course the fixed guides always loose. I know that doesnt apply to fishing because I am sure you would never be working the same 12 to 14" of line for hours but it does prove there is SOME abrasion. Back to Toms comment, If they take care of there gear Rollers are less abrasive.

Tell you the truth I have never even had a Failure with Hardloy and have seen less fractures but I can guarantee these days that is a hard sell. Also I dont know how Hardloy holds up to spectra on the heavier gear.

The other thing some say about Fixed vs roller is that - if the line gets abrasion form other sources than the guides ie boat bottom, the line wont get worse with WORKING rollers. Hope that helps.

Doc

Date: July 05, 2005 03:05PM

You all have made some good points. I think with the information so far that you all have provided it will help me choose the right guide application. Stand up and off shore rods are kinda new to me but this does help a bunch.

Thanks guys,
Steve

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster