I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Decals
Posted by: Steve Buchanan (---.ellijay.com)
Date: July 04, 2005 09:54AM

Hi...I am new to Rod building. I have a couple of decent re-furb jobs on some of my own rods under my belt but I have encountered a problem with putting my name on them, I have tried with disastrous results the clear mailing labels and the ink jet printer. They looked good until the flex coat hit them. Then the edges curled up and looked like crap. I discovered a post about decals and I decided to check out the decal connection. That seems to be the way to go. My question is....What type of decals to use? Water slide, peel and stick, or Vinyl. and how to apply them correctly. Heeeeeelp !!!!! Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Decals
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 04, 2005 10:02AM

I would advise you to try the water slide type - they're thin and once covered with epoxy your inscription stands out perfectly with no edges to show. Jimi can lead you through the steps and his site should have some tips for you. A future issue of RodMaker will also have an article by Jimi on the ins and outs of installing water slide decals.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 04, 2005 10:26AM

2 words DECAL CONNECTION Jimi will take care of you Take a look at there website (Link on the left and give him a call. Great service, great price!!

Mike

Posted by: Denis Labrecque (---.bp.com)
Date: July 04, 2005 11:12AM

Jimi did a great job helping me with the design enhancements and selection of water slide decals. He's the best, and the waterslide decals are first rate. No lifting of the edges and look perfect when finished. I use the micro-sol and micro-set just to make sure and I've been nothing but impressed. Not having worked with graphics in the past; it was a bit confusing at first, but Jimi helped with that too.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: July 04, 2005 04:15PM

Be sure to trim the edges with a scissor, not a razor blade or an exacto knife. The edges need a very clean cut on them so they don't lift in areas and look cloudy in those areas.

When applying the waterslides, be aware that there is only a very thin film of adhesive on the back side of the decal. Excessive soaking, moving around to locate the decal, and other things will remove this adhesive and leave you with a cloudy looking decal.

Properly done, these are definitely the way to go and Jimi @ Decal Connection is the place!!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.centcom.mil)
Date: July 04, 2005 06:21PM

I love the "New Waterslide" decals that DC has. .I've never used waterslide decals, but I followed the instructions provided on their site and they always look great.

Posted by: Steve Buchanan (---.36.102.166.ip.alltel.net)
Date: July 05, 2005 01:07PM

Thanks guys.....Looks like water-slide it is.....I'll be getting in touch with Jimi soon....Again, thanks a million!!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster