I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 12 year-old masking tape arbors - pics
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.airservices.gov.au)
Date: July 05, 2005 08:10AM

William I'm not disputing the fact about glue line thickness. I have had flexcoat arbors break up in my hands, for that reason I always now pre-glue into the reel seat. It's not the arbor shape or design but what it is made of.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.156.99.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 05, 2005 08:17AM

I understand. They sand sooo easy and are quick.
But has any one ever had one fall apart after being glued into a seat ?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 05, 2005 08:28AM

The Flex Coat arbors are a urethane product. They will outlive any of us. If they break up in your hands, it's not because they're failing, but because of rough handling or similar, but not because they're in any way decomposing or such. Once they're on the rod and mounted with a seat over them, they cannot fail nor will they "break up."

Date: July 05, 2005 08:41AM

Thanks Tom
What do you think is best for Salt Water use ? Are they good there ?

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: July 05, 2005 09:12AM

SW, FW - does it really matter? Use what works for you, and stick with it. If you're not happy with the results, afraid of failure, etc - look around to find something else that works.

What are all the options we have for bushings?

Thread, cork, cardboard, fiberglass blank, graphite arbors, FC arbors, drywall tape, 1/64" masking tape spaced 7/128's apart, twine, cord, 15mm graphite tubing with an ECSM15 seat.

I miss anything?

Date: July 05, 2005 09:22AM

Don't think so Billy
Think you spelled it all goad toooo

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 05, 2005 11:10AM

Good going Billy. Problem solved. Next?

Posted by: Gerald McCasland (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: July 05, 2005 12:10PM

OK for what ever it's worth I will add my two cents worth. I have been using The Flex Coat arbors since they came out, what 3/4 years ago and like them. That being said I have built several hundred rods using masking tape arbors under the reel seats. I have never had a reel seat failure as a result of the tape. Believe me when I tell you that this true. I went to the arbors because folks were making me paranoid about the tape.

Later,
Gerald Mc

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.lsanca54.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: July 05, 2005 12:30PM

I do not wrap rods for profit. I wrap for my own use and a few for friends. I have Doc's video. I have spoken to Leon Todd at Calstar as well as Martin at Yo's Custom Rods and they all use masking tape. This is the way I learned and I have never had a failure. I think that Billy and Doc stated it correctly. There are many options to use. Use the one where you have the most confidence but do it correctly.

Date: July 05, 2005 02:25PM

Bill,

I'm lazy but I demand good materials and good work on my part. So, if I can find something that saves me time but does the job as good or better than what I might have been using previously, I'll go with it. As far as what is best really comes down to what you have. what you need to do and how much time you want to spend. For me, the Flex Coat arbors provide the lightest and strongest mount and I can install them start to finish in a matter of minutes, seconds really. You measure the blank OD at the seat location, chuck your matching pilot bit and bore the arbor. Takes maybe 5 or 6 seconds I'd guess. Check fit and then two or three quick passes with a reamer if need be. If you don't have pilot bits, then a regular bit in a lathe works equally well. Then just slide it on and be done with it. Slide the seat on and go. Or, mount the seat first and then bore. Makes no difference. Saltwater will not harm them.

I've made arbors out of all sorts of things and as has been pointed out here, there are a multitude of items that make good arbors that will hold up and last, even tape (most of the time). But the Flex Coat arbors are so inexpensive, so light, so long lasting and so quick to use that I just won't use anything else at this point. I don't have time to wind tape or string anymore and I find the drywall tape, good as it is, a bit too messy for my tastes and time. Everybody has their favorite, but these are my new favorite.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.225.---)
Date: July 05, 2005 03:47PM

I am curious as to why a reel seat needs to be fully supported at all. Why not an arbor on each end?

Date: July 05, 2005 04:29PM

That would certainly work. Flex Coat supplies the arbors full length and because they're so light and so inexpensive, it's just not a big deal to install them full length. But if you wanted to cut them into sections (1 to 1.5 inches) and install one at each end, you could do so with perfectly good results.

Posted by: John Campbell (---.jetstream.xtra.co.nz)
Date: July 06, 2005 05:59AM

And I take it that there would be no need for any glue between the two arbors, only thin glue lines between the arbors and the blank & reel seat.

Date: July 06, 2005 07:41AM

Right, any glue between the arbors would do nothing other than add a little weight and cost you a few pennies in extra epoxy.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster