I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Any electrical experts out there
Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: July 01, 2005 11:09PM

Willing to give a novice like me basic wiring instruction on how to set up a variable speed drying motor. I am talking about real step by step basics. Type of motor to look for, what to use for a speed control (a dimmer switch?) and the proper type of cord to use (i.e. safe- grounded?). As well as how to safely combint the components.

Give me a Penn or Abu reel and I can make that sucker tap dance. Give me something electronic and I can be a real menace to society without instructions.

Derek

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Any electrical experts out there
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: July 02, 2005 12:12AM

Such a shocking subject, just shocking, Derek...

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Jim Williams (---.nas2.sho.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 02, 2005 12:05PM

I don't think I would try a dimmer switch. Made for a light bulb....not for running a motor and constant changing. Doubt seriously if it would even handle the amps a motor would pull. On the other hand a little drying motor might not pull many amps...I haven't ever looked into it. But.........how about shopping flea markets and goodwill thrift stores for junk......and therefore the foot pedal control of an old sewing machine? It is going to handle your drying motor for sure. And....it is just a/c in.....a/c out. You don't have to put a foot pedal on the floor. Set it on your bench and use your hand. Just a thought....I haven't tried it. Just came to mind.

Jim

Posted by: Jim Williams (---.nas2.sho.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 02, 2005 12:11PM

Footnote....Putter....you cool dude. Everyone likes a little a-- now and then, but no one likes a wise a--! Just kiddin'.....a little bit more brevity......actually in my case more of a smart aleck remark. But you are okie dokie pokie. Sometimes too much serious talk on a BB and never any brevity. It's a good little ditty. Surprising how a sponaneous grin on my face relaxes me for a bit.

Thanks Putter
Sincerely
Jim

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: July 02, 2005 01:22PM

Derek,

What do you gain by having a variable speed dryer?

If this is an absolute necessity for you, then you must purchase an AC/DC motor. (This type of motor always has carbon brushes). Sewing machine motors are AC/DC but are not recommended for dryer use because they run at high RPM and must be geared down to Dryer Speeds. This would require a multi-stage (multi-belt) gear down.

It easier and less expensive to purchase a DC gear motor that runs at the maximun speed that you will ever
operate at. Pick a motor that will run off of a DC Wall Transformer, which converts the AC Line voltage to a DC voltage These Transformers are available at several different voltage levels, for example 12 volt; 16 volt; 24 volt. The Output current and Voltage rating of the DC Wall Transformer must be greater than that required by the dryer motor. For example, assume that the motor requires 12 VDC and 0.100 amp . Multiply 12 volt x 0.100 amp = 1.2 VA , therfore the DC Wall Transformer must have an output VA rating more than 1.2 VA. In other words, an output of 12 VDC and a current rating of more than 0.100 amp.

You can use a Dimmer Switch to reduce the motor speed. The dimmer switch must be on the primary side (input side) of the DC Wall Transformer. Don't expect high resolution in controlling the speed.

In this specific case, the DC Wall Transformer isolates the motor from the power mains, hence minimizing the shock hazard. However for maximun safety always use a 3 conductor line cord. The Black wire is the Hot wire and it connect to the copper colored screw on the line plug, The White wire is the Return and it connect to the silver colored screw on the line plug. These two wires are connected to the input side of the DC Wall Transformer.

The Green wire is the Ground and it connects to the Green screw. The other end of the ground wire must be connected to the metal body of the gearmotor assembly.

Regardless of whether you do ,or do not, have experience with electricity, you would be better off buying a dryer. It's much cheaper and would require no effort on you part.

John (aka: @#$%&)

Posted by: Jim Williams (---.nas1.sho.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 02, 2005 03:53PM

@#$%&,
Thanks for your post. It is very good. I don't have a drying motor....yet. I thought they just plug into a/c. Sooooo my thought was just wire in the sewing machine pedal speed controller....not the motor itself. Just the speed controller. If the drying motor runs off dc from the transformer plugged into the wall outlet....obliviously wouldn't work. Thanks for your words. You probably just saved me from someone burning up his dryer motor , and maybe his house along with it.
Jim

Posted by: larry erickson (207.218.44.---)
Date: July 03, 2005 12:32AM

Derek,

I haven't tried this but it may be a good cheap way to go. Find an old mixer with speed settings and use one of the beaters less blades.

le

Posted by: Jim Williams (---.nas1.sho.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 03, 2005 12:21PM

There's also electrical screwdrivers and variable speed drills. My battery operated Black and Decker screw driving tool that will fold to ninety degrees in the middle seems to run forever. I haven't used it much.....but I have yet to have to recharge it. There's also slow speed barbecue rotissiere motors. The one loaned to me was 6 rpm but not variable. Just a thought...what ever you rig up.....it probably has to run constant for a few hours.......so........figure on some kinda motor that is sorta designed for that and is not going to overheat. I have seen this question before.......pls let us know what you come up with. I just curious as heck e dern about the subject myself.

Thanks for the post.

Jim

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 03, 2005 03:54PM

Jim,

What would be the object of a variable speed drying motor?? Once you put a rod on a dryer, why would you want to vary the speed?? I'm not trying to be smart, I've just never heard of anyone using one and am wondering what for!!!

Mike

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.150.220.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 04, 2005 10:51AM

I have a two epeed set up. Only because I like it faster when I coat inscriptions and butt wraps.

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.243.215.148.Dial1.SanFrancisco1.Level3.ne)
Date: July 04, 2005 10:24PM

I like a variable speed motor as I do not just dry rods with me set-up but apint my rods on it as well with an airbrush. Imagine how smooth a paint coat you would get if you applied light even coats to a rod blank turning at about 100rmp. I know some people out there that apply finish at 250rpm and beyond. A higher speed also comes in hand when applying spar varnish with foam brushes and paint with brushes. I have a specific motor in mind that is rated from 0-250 rpm and it would be perfect if I could figure oit how the wire ( as in a picture diagram) the bloody thing. Hmmmm.....I just happen to have an old sewing maching motor foot pedal laying around. I have been told that if you drill a hole in the pedal and epoxy a bolt in the base so it sticks through the hole in the pedal you can get some pretty fine tuned speeds by using a wing nut on the bolt to apply the pressure.

I used roller blade wheels and bearings on my wrapping stands so they should be able to handle the speeds.

Derek

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster