I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Most sensitive reel/handle for a spinning rod - need suggestions
Posted by: Jim Smith (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 01, 2005 09:07PM

I am in the process of buying components for a spinning rod for my son which he will us mainly for throwing plastic baits/worms. I got some excellent recommendations for the rod blank on this board and would like your recommendations on the most sensitive reel seat. I've only built fly rods and any/all suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance and thanks to Tom Kirkman for hosting such a terrific website.

Jim Smith

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Most sensitive reel/handle for a spinning rod - need suggestions
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 01, 2005 10:17PM

Think light and rigid and you'll have what you want. A Fuji or similar seat mounted on one of the Flex Coat urethane foam arbors is going to be very light, yet very rigid. It's ideal for what you're after.

Posted by: Mark Crouse (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 02, 2005 12:47AM

The most sensitive Reel seat would be a blank exposed reel seat from REC, yes it is for spinning rods not casting, most builders do not know this seat, your fingers will be on the blank while you are holding the rod.
Mark Crouse - The Munich Rod man

Posted by: Sam Stoner (---.static.spbg.sc.charter.com)
Date: July 02, 2005 11:09AM

Jim

I used to do a lot of the same type of fishing. You might also try the barrel - type graphite Tennessee handles with graphite arbors - a very hard combination to beat for lightness and sensitivity. My experience is that they can become quite slippery so my personal preference is still cork. I'm not familair with the REC seat that Mark mentioned in his post but I don't see how you can get much better than actually having your fingers on the blank. If I have occasion to build a similar rod I'll be sure to give REC seats a look.

Sam Stoner

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: July 02, 2005 12:15PM

Sam, I had to go look; Mark was sure right. I wonder how these feel in the hand?

[www.rec.com]

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Roger Williams (---.84.140.67.ip.alltel.net)
Date: July 02, 2005 12:54PM

I just looked at the REC site, unless I'm blind , I saw seats with the metal cut away but that was for the wood barrel to show through. Mark, help me, what model # of the exposed blank reel seat? Thanks.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: July 02, 2005 01:52PM

The DBX780 is the reelseat I think Mark was talking about.

Date: July 02, 2005 01:58PM

If you mount your seat onto a lightweight rigid arbor, the sensitivity will be the same as if you have your fingers directly on the blank. I know cut away seats with the blank showing make good advertising for sensitivity, but a rod with a properly mounted seat is going to offer you the same thing pretty much.

This is not advising against a cut-away type seat, they're certainly good. But you don't lose sensitivity with a lightweight nylon/graphite seat mounted on lightweight but rigid arbors. When you hold that, you're directly connected to the blank.

Posted by: joe arvay (---.bay.webtv.net)
Date: July 02, 2005 02:41PM

Tom, I think you make a good point on that issue. Additionally, I've come to believe that the whole "feel" thing has alot to do with contact area. With more surface in contact with the hand (as in larger circumference handles) it seems to make a rod feel more sensitive. More skin/hand contact area=more nerves involved. My fingers are pretty rough and calloused, blank contact really doesn't appeal much on account of that.

Balance goes a long way here as well.

Date: July 02, 2005 04:04PM

Very good points.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.162.17.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 03, 2005 10:12AM

Why not just get a reel seat and make one

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster