I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

True Oil Cork Finish
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 01, 2005 04:54PM

I made a post a couple of days ago complaining about having to buy a "bundled" kit of true oil products when I was only looking for the True Oil Finish. Well, I now have to eat my words. The package contained some sandpaper, woven cloth, steel wool, restorer, stain, steel wool and a complete set of instructions as to how the products should be used. I was surprised to find that the first step, after initial sanding, was to do a wet sand using the true oil as the carrier to imbed small particles in the surface of the piece of work. I followed exactly the procedure detailed all the way through the steel wool application of the milky looking restorer at high speed on the lathe. The result was the best piece of work that I have ever done on cork. It has a deep lustre matte finish and does not have the appearance of a slick coating on the surface. It is all done quickly and does not require a long drying process. Heat generated by friction does the drying. I now wonder how much I have missed by not reading the instructions on a lot of things.

Gon Fishn

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: True Oil Cork Finish
Posted by: Jim Crisci (68.114.45.---)
Date: July 01, 2005 06:30PM

Bill,
Would you post a picture for us? I'd love to see the results. I use Tru Oil a lot for fly rod grips and am always interested in doing a better job. Great tip. Thanks.

Posted by: Scott Olex (---.bflony.adelphia.net)
Date: July 01, 2005 08:41PM

Bill,

I spend half of my life pulling my foot out of my mouth and the other half putting it back in. I feel for ya there buddy.

Scott

Posted by: John Dow (---.215.252.64.snet.net)
Date: July 01, 2005 11:59PM

Bill , I "wet sand" with it too , I read somthig that Andy wrote , or commented on refering to the "slurry" that fills the gaps in the cork . I haven't seen the directions you talk about , I'll have to get one of those kits and try it . I sand it then just use a dry cloth to soak it up , works good , and no shinney finish . Feels like velvet . Just make sure you read the directions on the pill containers for "da' pain medicine for da tooth aches "............. JHD

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Jim Williams (---.nas2.sho.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 02, 2005 12:00AM

Mr. Stevens that is a great post. I really like it when someone will admit his error. I do it all the time but very few others do. It's so cool. I now wish I could send you my can of just Tru Oil I went and bought at Wal-Mart with no instructions at all and you could send me what you didn't want! I could still send it..........<grin>

Is a high speed lathe necessary to follow their procedure? Being just a rookie I don't have such a thing. Appreciate the info you have provided and the question is how can "I" order the kit? Just go to their website?

Thanks for YOUR infromation already provided by you........and thanks in advance.

Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2005 12:17AM by Jim Williams.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.83.32.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: July 02, 2005 10:32AM

Bill, except for the restorer, (something I'm not familiar with) that is old school gunstock finishing. Jim, a lathe is not required though it helps with time. Just wet sand with your finish of choice with fine grit and use a lint free rag (I like pantyhose) to drag off the excess. Takes a little practice but it fills in the pores wonderfully. It isn't something that needs to be done, but the end result is worth the extra effort.

Posted by: Jim Williams (---.nas2.sho.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 02, 2005 12:17PM

Thanks Mick. Yeah, that's where I found it at Wal-Mart.....in the gun cleaning section. Sounds like a fun chore to me....and I don't usually consider chores fun. 'tis just fun learning how to do something. Think I spent my career in paperwork.....pretty new at working with "stuff". Therefore the info on the boards really helpful. Thank you for the info. I use it. the info I mean
Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster