I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

James Labanowski (Doc Ski)
Posted by: Nacho Garibay (---.disney.com)
Date: July 01, 2005 01:47PM

Hi All,

Before we start, I just want you all to know that I am a fan of Doc Ski's thread work. In addition, I have spent many hours at his home in Oxnard, California at his invitation to learn first hand on how to do weaves, learn his methods of building rods of all types, using difference materials, guide placement, and a huge array of various processes in just getting the rod build. Doc offered me a ton of knowledge at no charge, did not hesitate to provide me with answers, and never insisted his way was the only way to do things. In fact, he often stated "What do you want the results to be" and "How would you like to do it". He never says one way or another why was wrong, he never used the following words, "NEVER-ALWAYS-FOREVER" or "just do it my way". Doc is open to any suggestion, but I will tell you will NOT let you do something wrong, or as I would say sometime STUPID. I just wanted to set the picture as true as I could before I go onto my next paragraph.

Have you seen the latest thread work Doc just put on the picture gallery? His work is in creditable, just look at the details and the tightness of the thread. If you get a chance, looked Doc Ski's work on Tunas, yahoos, other fish art that t Doc does. In fact, I spent an afternoon with Doc when he was working on a new Wahoo design. He does all of the work with a rod, thread, and graph paper- I am not sure how he knows how to make the thread dance the way he, but when he gets it done, IT IS A WORK OF ART. Almost 3-D, you might say.

I know that are a lot of fine thread designers and I have met many of them, there is incredible amount of talent in our hobby that I have had the pleasure of meeting, including, but not limited to Jim (the Dragon expert), Terri (the flame thrower), Coach (super talent) on building a great rod, and a bunch of others that I have come to respect on a part of rod building that I hope to be able to master (NOT LIKELY). Maybe that is why I really appreciate the time and skill they out into their work.

Thank you for your time, I just wanted to take a moment to recognize one of the great ones in our hobby.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: James Labanowski (Doc Ski)
Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: July 01, 2005 01:54PM

For those unskilled in Internet browsing: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.airservices.gov.au)
Date: July 01, 2005 01:57PM

Nacho, couldn't have said it better myself, it would be great to see an article on him in Rodmaker, well over due IMO.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: July 01, 2005 02:17PM

Doc's unselfishness is what stands out the most to me; money doesn't drive this man and neither do "methods". If it works for you, do it that way he's always saying. There' s many ways to get the job done.

I'm tickled to have met him and enjoy the on-line, frequent visits with him.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.150.214.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: July 01, 2005 03:58PM

Amen and amen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can't beat the guy,, or his work !!!

Art

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 01, 2005 05:17PM

Well said ...

Someday I hope to meet him too . Mainly because I appreciate his thread art and his no @#$%& attitude toward rodbuilding.

Posted by: Peter Merritt (156.56.79.---)
Date: July 01, 2005 05:34PM

How about an interview with Doc in RodMaker? That should make for a great read! He has been very helpful to me via this forum and I'm jealous of all of you who have had a chance to meet him.

Peter

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 01, 2005 06:00PM

I'll second everything that anyone can say about he man!!!!!

Mike

Posted by: david williams (---.formysite.com)
Date: July 01, 2005 06:21PM

i have only been in this for a very short time but have had the pleasure of meeting thru this forum some very great and generos helpful people.
and doc is one of them. you couldnt ask for a nicer feller. always willing to go out of his way to help ya with what ever problem you are having. my hats off to ya doc

david williams

Posted by: Tom Erickson (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: July 01, 2005 10:04PM

Well said Nacho. I try to spend as much time as I can with Doc when he gets down here to San Diego.I just can`t absorb the knowledge fast enough. I like to keep things as simple as possible and Doc teaches it so you can understand it, that its not rocket science. I just wanted to thank you Doc for the time and wisdom, and thank you Nacho for voicing your appreciation for Doc. Your Friend, Tom

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.tnt1.broken-hill.au.da.uu.net)
Date: July 01, 2005 10:05PM

My greatest wish will be one day to attend a Rodbuilding Convention, just like Charlotte, and meet not only Doc but a whole heap of the "Masters". I have the greatest respect and admiration for those, who I believe, have taken Rodbuilding construction and decoration to a new level. Doc surely is one at the top of the list.

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 01, 2005 11:43PM

Gentlemen, I humbly thank you for every word. I try hard to help as many as I can and make it easy for them to have success at this rewarding craft. I mean rewarding in an inner way. To me the test of a TRUE master is that which he can pass on to others to aid them to their own successes. I take REAL delight when someone I have helped and spent time with comes up to me at one of the many shows and I see the pride they have in their own creations. When I create a new design like the last one it is just to show what can be done and try to encourage all of you who want to do the same. Billy V is right it takes patience, practice and desire and anyone can create beauty only hampered by your imagination. Thank you all again. It is said you shall receive ten fold and I guarantee you I have. I wish I could meet and share time with you all(preferrablely field testing)

Doc Ski

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 02, 2005 12:52AM

Doc, I would like nothing better than to see you in Charlotte!!! Sure wish you would make the trip!

Mike

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: July 02, 2005 09:11PM

Aupa Garibay,
For a minute I thought you were talking about me (lol). If everything goes according to schefule, I hope to join Doc for a fishing trip next month.
Cheers, Ellis

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster