I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CCS Terms
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 01, 2005 05:00AM

I am empressed with the CCS data site but I'm not familiar with
the terms ERN, CC RATING, AA, CCF.
Great info if I only understood it?
What do you mean by Deflection?

It's amazing how one could do something for so long and then
find out just how much he doesn't know and has been missing!!

This site is AWESOME! Also, looking forward to starting my subscription
to Rod Maker Mag. and seeing everyone in Charlotte!!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CCS Terms
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 01, 2005 08:16AM

There is an article that I believe briefly explains everything at flyanglersonline.com in the rodbuilding archives if I remember right. Using the search engine above will get you pages of info from earlier posts. Some very drawn out discussions further back when the concept first came out. Someting like " Common Cents system" should do it.

Posted by: Magnus Högberg (---.handelsbanken.se)
Date: July 01, 2005 08:16AM

In short,
ERN = Effective Rod Number. The calculated class for a rod.
CC RATING = Mostly used for Spinning and casting rods i think. Represents the recommended weight range for a lure (??)
AA = Action Angle. The angle of the rod tip when the rod is deflected 1/3 of the length of the rod.

I think i got that right, but please correct me if i'm wrong.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 01, 2005 08:36AM

The article at Fly Anglers Online is a brief overview, not an explanation of the terms or how to obtain them. Those are available in separate issues of RodMaker or via the compilation of all articles in a booklet also available from RodMaker.

ERN = Effective Rod Number - a relative rod power rating

AA = Action Angle - The initial flex profile of the rod.

CCF - Common Cents Frequency - a relative means of comparing "feel" through the use of a rod's particular frequency.

I have never heard of a "CC" rating. I thought that meant "carbon copy." At any rate, it's not part of the Common Cents System.

All rods have certain inherent properties that can be measured and quantified. Just as we have always done that for length and to some extend for action (fast, medium and slow) we now do it for power and frequency as well as adding an action scale with much more resolution than before.

Date: July 01, 2005 08:55AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have never heard of a "CC" rating. I thought
> that meant "carbon copy." At any rate, it's not
> part of the Common Cents System.
>
> ............

On [www.superbob.org] in the spinning and casting section(tab) they tend to use CC Rating

Date: July 01, 2005 08:56AM

They mean "Common Cents" Ratings, which are ERN, AA and CCF. They're all the same regardless of rod type.

Date: July 01, 2005 09:07AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They mean "Common Cents" Ratings, which are ERN,
> AA and CCF. They're all the same regardless of
> rod type.
>
>
> ................

Ok
Not another day goes by without learning somethin new

Posted by: Jim Williams (---.nas2.sho.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 02, 2005 03:08AM

ICW with that there CCF rating.......I wonder why only one rod on the entire chart has a number in the column?
Jim

Date: July 02, 2005 08:50AM

The CCF was the last installment of the total system. It's only been out among the rod building public for a few months while the rest of the system has been around for about 2 years. Most of the blanks rated and listed earlier came on board before anyone knew about CCF.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 02, 2005 08:53AM

Hi Jim,

Can't stand it any more!!! What does ICW stand for??

Mike

Posted by: Jim Williams (---.nas1.sho.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 02, 2005 11:30PM

Sorry Mike,

In Conjunction With.......in accordance to.......in reference to......in regards to.....etc....
Jim..............there's just too many Jim's........I need to change my name to Gem.

".............and remember son, if you aren't the lead dog, the view never changes"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster