I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide spacing on a Loomis blank
Posted by: Doug Howard (---.asapsoftware.com)
Date: July 01, 2005 01:20AM

I have an G Loomis blank. IMX 3 piece 4wt 9' and I can't locate the guide spacing chart. DOES ANYONE OUT THERE have the Loomis recommended spacing? I want to start wrapping tonight. Worst case, I'll call Loomis in the AM, but please help if you can! Thanks in advance, Doug in Oregon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide spacing on a Loomis blank
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 01, 2005 02:57AM

Hi Doug,
Unfortunatly I don't have the chart you are seeking but maybe I can get you started.
Because spacing charts are only guides and not writtin in stone just use your best
judgement and then stress test. You may end up doing this several times before
you get it "just right".
I don't know what type of guides you are placing ( wire or ceramics or both) but it really
does not matter as the process is the same for all.
You will most likely need 9 or 10 guides.
This is how I start guide spacing on most of the rods I build. 1) I start from the tip and work
toward the handle. 2) place the first guide about 3 1/2 or 4 in. from the tip. 3) The next guide
will be about 1/2 in. increase in distance from the first. 4) follow this until you get to the last 3
guides and then instead of 1/2 in go to 1 in.
I'll simplify,
3 1/2 - 4- 4 1/2 - 5- 5 1/2 - 6- 7- 8 - 9

Stress the rod real good and see where you need to make adjustments

Oh yea, also check the distance from the seat center to the stripping guide. The average is
about 23-25 in. for a fly rod I think? Any way you don't want to be too close.

This always gets me pretty close for a 7 1/2 to 8 1/2 casting rod. On some spinning rods
I'm able to deleat a guide and increase the spacing.

I'm not that experienced with fly rods but the concept is the same I'm sure. If not, maybe
someone can enlighten me.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Re: Guide spacing on a Loomis blank
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.168.113.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 01, 2005 10:02AM

You can also go to St Croixs site for a spacing for that weight rod. THIS is only a starting point, the Liberary page has an artical about stress testing to find the proper spacing for that blank. No two blanks flex the same an thus the stress test
I usually start with the first guide from tip at 4" and the stripper guide at Holding the rod as if you will grab line to start stripping it place the stripper about an inch above that, addjust as to make it fell comfortable to the user.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster